TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Can Insomnia cause Schizophrenia?

Can lack of sleep/no sleep at all cause schizophrenia or trigger it? I know lack of sleep can cause hallucinations and irrational thoughts but can it cause permanent psychosis or does it go away once the person gets enough sleep. I think it goes away once their brain rests. Really what I want to know is my bad insomnia I am having going to eventually make me schizophrenic? I worry about falling asleep at night but don't want to worry about going insane from little to no sleep. 

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

No insomnia cannot cause Schizophrenia or permanent psychosis. Schizophrenia is a biologically based disorder caused by brain dysfunctional. While insomnia can cause hallucination eventually, hallucinations are only one symptom of Schizophrenia and are not always a sign of the disorder. There needs to be hallucinations, delusions and the duration has to be 6 months or longer. And these symptoms cannot be explained by something like insomnia. The symptoms must be experienced on their own, without other possible cause.

I hope this has helped you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That does seem to help thank you :). So your brain goes back to normal after a good nights sleep? The only reason I am skeptical about all of this is because I decided to research myself and came across this article. Take a look at it.

Your brain should go back to normal after any sleep that involves active dreaming. REM sleep is what resets your brain patterns and gives you the deep sleep you need to restore yourself.

You are going to find may articles that say different and contradictory things. But the safest bet if you are still concerned is to check with your doctor who knows your medical history and current situation. There are many signs of Schizophrenia and they would be much more prevalent if you did have it. Plus if you are worried about getting it, that is a good sign you do not have it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not predisposed genetically to getting schizophrenia. The only mental issue I am dealing with is anxiety and as you can tell I am a pretty big hypochondriac. I tend to make myself think I am going to get any illness and schizophrenia is my "newest" fear. I just worry about losing control over my mentality and sleep controls how you feel so I always stress over getting enough of it if any at all. As long as you tell me insomnia doesn't have any correlation to this disease then that puts me at ease. Besides I'm 21, wouldn't the disease have poked its head out by now considering the onset is age 18-21.

Your anxiety over getting a serious mental illness is a very normal one. Many people with anxiety feel just as you do. But just from talking with you, I do not see any symptoms to be concerned about. And again, if you are worried about it, it is more likely that you do not have it. Most people with Schizophrenia are not concerned they have it.

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
Thank you very much for the positive rating and bonus! I appreciate it.

My best to you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just wondering who carries schizophrenia risk genes? Is it people with schizophrenia in their family? Writing a research paper in my psych class about it ironically.

I would be more than happy to continue working with you on any new questions you have. All I ask is that you remember to rate my answers for each new/different question you ask. Is this ok for you? Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes of course :) sorry I'm new to this site didn't know how it worked.

Schizophrenia is thought to be caused by a combination of genetic, brain chemistry and environmental factors. But the exact cause of Schizophrenia is unknown. At this point, there is no sure way to tell if the genes from the mother or father cause the disorder. But one thing that has been proven is that if there are first degree relatives with the disorder, there is a 10% chance of someone getting Schizophrenia. The risk reduces as second and third degree relatives are factored in. However, 60% of the population who have Schizophrenia do not have any relative with the disease. So it cannot be assumed that Schizophrenia is caused by genetic factors alone.

Scientists might be getting closer to what genes are involved with Schizophrenia and recommend that anyone with concerns ask their doctor about genetic testing.

Good luck with your paper!

Did you need any clarifications?