Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist

Hello. I just recently started therapy, and we have discusses my childhood in a bit of det

Hello. I just recently started therapy, and we have discusses my childhood in a bit of detail. I am having trouble bringing up something that happened in my teens. I am embarrassed to do so, and have no idea how to go about it. My therapist is a wonderful, and lovely person. I just can't seem to find the words to describe the event as I have never told anyone before. I do trust her, but feel stuck.
Thanks for your question.

Getting "stuck" is somewhat common especially if you are getting to the point in therapy where you're discussing things that are very personal or that you may have never discussed with anyone in the past. Unless this persists for many sessions in a row it may not be anything to be overly concerned about, however sometimes just telling your therapist that you're feeling stuck can open the door to some productive dialog and help you to get through that feeling. Even without talking about the specific event, just talking about these feelings of embarrassment and that this is tough for you to talk about can help you to work through those feelings and get to the point where you can start to put it into words. Usually even if you can't talk about something specifically, if you can discuss the feelings that talking would bring up, you can still have very productive session. I definitely wish you the best with all of this, and if there's anything else I can do to help please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much Ryan. That is good advice, and it makes sense. I will do my best to try and bring up "feeling stuck". Can I ask 1 more question? Does therapy get easier? I have such a hard time opening up to her. I don't want her to take it personally. It has nothing to do with her. It's just me. I have never had someone I could talk to openly about anything so this is brand new to me. I don't want to hurt her feelings in any way, or have her think I don't trust her. I even tried telling her this, but the words just wouldn't come out. Thanks again. Really really appreciate it.

No problem, if this has been helpful and you wouldn't mind leaving me a positive review when we're finished I'd really appreciate it. Most likely she won't take it personally and she has probably encountered these types of issues before, so I would be surprised if her feelings were hurt. More than anything, it would be a sign of your trust that you can bring up the fact that you're feeling stuck and can discuss that with her. It's a pretty normal to hit a wall at some point, especially if this is brand new to you. Therapy can sometimes get more difficult before it gets easier, but the idea is that once you're through the difficult part then everything eventually starts to get even more easy than it was prior to therapy. Hang in there and all the best,