Heidi LPC
Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor

my ex boyfriend just committed suicide. and i just broke up

my ex boyfriend just committed suicide. and i just broke up with him a day before he did it. I was the last person to see him alive and the last person he was texting. He basically made it sound like the blame was on me. Im also the one who found him dead. I worked with him and the funeral is on Saturday. would it be bad if i didn't attend? i don't think i can handle it and i feel like people are going to be starring at me and blaming me.

Heidi LPC :

Oh my goodness... I am so so so sorry that you are in this horrible situation. I hope I can help you here... my answer is simply this: Do not let others influence your choice in the matter. It is completely understandable that you fear their reactions, and if it feels better not to go, don't. If you feel that you need to go, then you should follow your intuition. You are not to blame, and you are going to have quite a bit to deal with for quite awhile now, I am sure.

Heidi LPC :

I am attaching a link to an article that you may find helpful. Although the title is "Suicide of a Co-Worker", read through it. It talks about managing any guilt, and I want you to remember that suicide was his choice; not yours. And the choice should not reflect at all on you. You made a decision to end the relationship because you needed to, and people break up everyday. What he chose was not your fault.

Heidi LPC :

I wish you strength and peace, and give yourself as much time as you need to in managing such a complicated situation. I will check back and am ready to assist you in anyway that I can.

Heidi LPC :

Just let me know if you have further questions... and thank you for using the site. I wish you all the best.

Also, one more thing: Take good care as you walk this journey. Here is a link to more useful information on the feelings you may experience as this story unfolds:

My best to you...

Hi there, Kelly! I am just following up with you to see how you are doing. I hope that you are getting through and have friends and family who are supporting you. Thanks again for using our site, and please feel free to contact me if you feel that I can be of any further assistance to you.