Heidi LPC
Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor
65628425

What is impulsitivity? Thank you.

What is impulsitivity? Thank you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Heidi LPC replied 1 year ago.

Heidi LPC :

Hi there! I hope to be of some assistance to you-- it basically means that a person has difficulty controlling their actions, or impulses. For instance, if a child gets an urge to touch something on the stove, they don't stop to think about the outcome--- they just reach out. If a person gets angry, they cannot control their urge to shout and lash out. If a person gets an idea in their mind, they act on it immediately without considering the consequences, safety or relationships involved. The dictionary definition is:

im·pul·sive

adjective \im-ˈpəl-siv\

Definition of IMPULSIVE

1

: having the power of or actually driving or impelling

2

a: arising from an impulse <an impulsivedecision>b: prone to act on impulse <an impulsive young man>

3

: acting momentarily

im·pul·sive·lyadverb

im·pul·sive·nessnoun

im·pul·siv·i·ty \-ˌpəl-ˈsi-və-tē\noun

Examples of IMPULSIVE

1. She's impulsive and often does things that she later regrets.

2. He needs to learn to control his impulsive behavior.

3. She made an impulsive decision to quit her job.

4. I couldn't make out exactly what had happened, though I could guess how it started—the two of them talking, kidding around when Mrs. Ramsey came down to the library basement to file some periodicals, an impulsive kiss in the stacks … —Tobias Wolff, Old School, 2003

Origin of IMPULSIVE

(see 2impulse)
First Known Use: 15th century

im·pul·sive

adjective \im-ˈpəl-siv\ (Medical Dictionary)

Medical Definition of IMPULSIVE

1

2

: actuated by or prone to act on impulse <impulsive behavior>

3

: acting momentarily <brief impulsive auditory stimuli>

im·pul·sive·lyadverb

im·pul·sive·nessnoun

im·pul·siv·i·ty\-ˌpəl-ˈsiv-ət-ē\ (audio pronunciation)noun, plural ; im·pul·siv·i·ties

I hope this answer was helpful to you! Have a wonderful day, and thank you for using the site! :-)

Expert:  Heidi LPC replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But isn't there a psychological term that is called Impulsitivity? I was switching the channels on my TV the other day when a program suddenly caught my interest. They appeared to be talking about people that are very intrusive or people that invade other people's space or people that overstay their welcome or something like that. Next, someone used the word Impulsitivity as a psychological term. It was after that when my TV messed up, and I was unable to hear the whole story. Thank you.

Expert:  Heidi LPC replied 1 year ago.
Yes--- I know what you mean, and yes--- this is the way it is used medically:

Impulsivity: Inclined to act on impulse rather than thought. People who are overly impulsive, seem unable to curb their immediate reactions or think before they act. As a result, they may blurt out answers to questions or inappropriate comments, or run into the street without looking. Their impulsivity may make it hard for a child to wait for things they want or to take their turn in games. They may grab a toy from another child or hit when they are upset.

Impulsivity is a characteristic feature of ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder). Is this what you were asking?

Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience: Licensed Professional Counselor