Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

I am very concerned that I have a Bipolar Disorder. I know

I am very concerned that I have a Bipolar Disorder. I know it is dangerous to self-diagnose. But when I read about the Disorder, it seems like I'm reading my own biography.
I am 29 years old. I know I have suffered from bouts of depression my entire life, although I have never sought treatment. Most of the time I am a very outgoing and happy person. I had to drop out of college because, I partied too much, ran out of money and made a mess of things. Although, I did finish, I would go on to get fired from multiple jobs because of my mood swings. I would begin the job, excited, enthusiastic and extremely productive. But then for no reason at all, my mood would drop off, and so did my production level. This has caused me numerous financial difficulties. This has also wrecked havoc on my personal life. My parents call me the "yo-yo" and I have exhausted them. When I begin dating someone, it is great for a long time, but once I hit a depressive phase, I scare them away. Multiple partners have told me "Youre just too much". I feel like I have this illness that has ruined my life and I didn't even realize it.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Rafael M.T.Therapist replied 1 year ago.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Customer:

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me Rafael.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're very welcome.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Thank you for your trust.

Customer:

I just know I need help

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am truly sorry to know you have been facing all these challenges and problems for years, and have not received any necessary therapeutic support for you to rehabilitate from it, and have the quality of life you deserve.

Customer:

Part of it is my fault. I was in denial that I might have a problem.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

It is sad and frustrating but most people do nto get mental health support when they need it, and could delay treatment for several years. This is not that common when it is about physical problems and getting s physician to support you. We all just need to be more aware and proactive about taking better care of our psycho--emotional health and well-being.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I understand, and denial is indeed a personal and collective issue leading people to self-sabotage and families to neglect loved ones out of stereotypes, fears, prejudices and lack of knowledge.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Happily you are a young adult and have finally come to terms with your need of getting necessary mental health assessment and consistent treatment.

Customer:

I just want to be a normal person,, and be happy.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Bipolar disorder is one of the toughest mental health conditions to cope with, but with adequate psychotherapeutic support, and most times, with the right medication, crisis and extremes mood swings could be controlled, allowing the person to take good care of responsibilities and to enjoy relationships and life as a whole.

Customer:

I know you cannot say, with just the information I have given you. But would you suspect that could be what I am suffering from?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You can do this if you take full responsibility of your rehabilitation process, commit to therapy and take consistent actions leading to make changes and improvements at different levels. You do not choose to have bipolar disorder, but the way you shape and reinforce your personality, habits, life style, relationships and everything important in it, do deeply impact on how well you rehabilitate or not from this condition.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Bipolar disorder is named that way because of the presence of both type of episodes, manic and depressive, what makes the difference is the intensity of these experiences. The mood swings are not something you create or could easily control, you just find yourself brought into these changes - moods without your will's intervention. The highs could make you very productive and to feel super excited about many things, without the need to sleep, eat, rest, they could make you be hypersexual, have risky behaviors, and many more things, including both, healthy but excessive and dysfunctional behaviors.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Then it seems it does make sense with what you reported as your personal experience. I do not use to suggest people to use psychiatric drugs at all, but for some mental health disorders, like bipolar disorder, medication next to psychotherapy, could make a huge difference. It could even allow the person to benefit from psychotherapy once not suffering of manic-deep depressive episodes, and not to present risky-very dysfunctional behavior.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I believe that taking the first step of getting a complete mental assessment would allow you to get answers to many of the core questions you may have, and from there to start working on developing a concrete rehabilitation plan, from where your mental health and quality of life would be deeply improved.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

It makes perfect sense. The big problem is that I am in the military. I made an appointment with the mental health clinic on base last week.. But I have to wait a whole week to get in. I was scared to be discharged. But I just want help. I wont be good to anyone if I don't get healthy.

Customer:

I just couldn't wait any longer. I needed to talk to someone about it..

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Absolutely, this is time for you to set your number one priorities first, since without mental health, no matter how wonderful things and opportunities you may have ant every other area, they would be useless without you having the health and well-being to benefit from them. many things could come and go away, and we could get them back again, but without integral health and well-being, even having everything else, it would not matter, nothing would appear worthy or enjoyable.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You have been holding in for too long, but happily now you have chosen to truly start taking good care of yourself, and from there, any useful support would be effective since you are allowing it and committing to do your best to rehabilitate.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I have had many clients with bipolar disorder, who did have real nightmares in their lives because of the condition, and who were able to literally transform them into meaningful, productive and fulfilling experiences, at the personal, family and professional levels because of sticking to their rehabilitation process with necessary treatment, which should include both, psychotherapeutic and psychiatric support.

Customer:

I would do anything to get better. I am a good person. I feel like a can be very productive and good to a lot of people. But I cant deny this anymore. Whatever this is, its ruining my life.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I totally support you. Please take consistent actions getting the professional and family-friends support you need, and stick to your rehabilitation process, which is never easy, but for sure necessary, possible and totally worthy.

Customer:

Thank you Rafael

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're very welcome. Thank you for your trust. Please take gentle care and consistent action to build the life and fulfillment you need and long for.

Customer:

I will do so. I really hope I can begin to actually build a life for myself.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You can as long as you get the right tools and support to work on it, with accountability and passion.

Customer:

Luckily, if the military does decide to send me home, I am blessed enough to have wonderful family and friends that I know will support me in my recovery.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You are wise approaching things this way, and I feel very hopeful about you and the support system you have to be there for you, which is always key in every rehabilitation process.

Customer:

I feel very hopeful right now.. I feel grateful that its not too late for me to get well. I feel like I may finally get a hold on something that has probably played a significant role in every major difficulty I've had.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You bet. Focus all this insight and motivation to make things work for you taking consistent actions, learning from past experiences, pain and mistakes, and you would find yourself feeling grateful for everything.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Thank you again for your trust.

Customer:

And thank you for your help. I really needed to get some of that out.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're welcome. Glad to support you.

Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience: MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach