Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Can reconsolidation work for Misophonia aka Selective Sound

Can reconsolidation work for Misophonia aka Selective Sound Sensitivity Syndrome?
Thank you, Anne

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear XXXXXe,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe I can help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Mosophonia is sometimes caused by OCD and sometimes organic.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

What do your doctors say?

Customer:

25 years ago I was told it was OCD. I've been taking Prozac since then which lessens the reaction just slightly.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The information that I have seen says that reconsolidation does not work for humans.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

http://www.frontiersin.org/behavioral_neuroscience/10.3389/fnbeh.2011.00024/full

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

There are other antidepressants that may work better for you, or an increased dose of Prozac.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Those would be:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Clomipramine (Anafranil); Fluvoxamine (Luvox); Paroxetine (Paxil); Sertraline (Zoloft).

Customer:

I have increased the Prozac and have been doing CBT. I have tried Paxil and Anafranil with little relief. There is a support forum (Misophonia.com) that has thousand of sufferers that have not found relief in medication and CBT. A few have had some success with neurofeedback, but I was wondering about reconsolidation because I heard that it may work for phobias.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It is helpful for some and doesn't do a thing for others as far as I know. You are probably desperate with this difficult disorder and you should try it and see how it works for you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

So much of healthcare and mental health care is bases on trial and error because we are all different in many ways and react differently to various procedures and medications.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Results cannot be predicted, unfortunately.

Customer:

have you heard of any reasonably successful treatments besides neurofeedback as it is extremely expensive and Kaiser does not have a protocol for misophonia.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

No I have not besides medication (especially anafranil for OCD) and neurofeedback.

Customer:

The fact you have heard of misophonia is more than any of the doctor's I have consulted. I know you probably don't have any cures for it, but if you could at least spread the word about it. There are so many young people affected and are overwhelmed and even suicidal. No medical institution has been able to help. If you would check out some of the support forums and even weigh in, I will give you a more than stellar rating. Seriously, I'm not trying to blackmail you, of course. Just a sympathetic ear and the awareness it might bring is worth the $29.00. Here are some of the links: http://www.misophonia.com/Forum/index.php?sid=3c384eb305debe454a15b38285813e9d http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Soundsensitivity/ https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/misophonia-support

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I shall read the article. I have been, in the past, a sound engineer. I am also a music producer and have perfect pitch. I understand sound and how selective hearing can affect perception. I wish I had the knowledge to help you, but I will write an article (I have a weekly column on mental health in local papers), hopefully for publishing next week.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I shall also keep you in my prayers.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much! Anne

Thank you. May God keep blessing and healing you.

Elliott