Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I am 52. The mother of 4 (3 in their 30s, the youngest just

Customer Question

I am 52. The mother of 4 (3 in their 30's, the youngest just turned 18). Four grandchildren: 14, 12, 8 & 7. My 21st wedding anniversary is in June (second marriage). I have been in treatment for major depression since 1995. Medications really don't work (cocktails are changed on a regular basis). I am a disabled veteran. I worked for the Social Security Administration until I was put on federal disability retirement. I feel like my marriage is dead. My youngest doesn't need mommy at home anymore. Though I moved to this area to take care of my elderly parents, I keep thinking that I should stay now since the deaths of my parents because of the children and grandchildren. But, right now, all I want to do is run away. I feel overwhelmed even though there isn't a damn thing I do all day long -- not even keep house. And, I am fully aware of the fact that if I "run away", my problems will follow me. Yet there is this part of me that believes if I were alone, by myself, then I wouldn't have any responsibilities to anyone other than myself. So, frankly, I have no clue as to what to do...
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help you.

Customer:

OK.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It seems that you have treatment resistant depression. All of those VA (I assume) cocktails have not helped you and now your depression has you in state where you feel fatigued and overwhelmed all of the time. You know all the symptoms.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Have you been to psychotherapy?

Customer:

You are correct about it all being through the VA. And, no, I don't think that I've been to psychotherapy and I know the term, but not the practice.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It seems that you need a support system and need some face-to-face motivation to shake off some of your depression through action and through reframing your negative thoughts.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It is highly effective, sometimes in conjunction with medication, and sometimes without if.

Customer:

What type of support system... and face-to-face motivation (from whom?)?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You would find a suitable psychologist or clinical counselor or clijnical social worker with a private practice (or who works out of a mental health clinic) and meet regularly with her (or him) to try to find ways of restoring some of your enthusiasm, raising your self-worth, finding hope in your current haze of hopelessness.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You could even "shop around" for one at www.psychologytoday.com and entering your state and city and then going throug the list that appears.

Customer:

The VA has finally gotten me to a therapist that I can trust. She's really good. And I want to get off the medications. I've been on them for 18 years.

Customer:

My marriage isn't doing so well, either. We haven't had relations in over 6 years (maybe once or twice, but I don't remember the last time). I don't know if we should try marriage counseling or just part as "friends".

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Thank goodness for that. I didn't know if they did or not, but I do some contract work for Military One Source.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Having a good relationship can be a great resource. Perhaps you can fix that as well. It would do wonders for your depression.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I recommend using a certified sex therapists who are licensed mental health therapists with an ADDITIONAL certification in sex therapy and can help many couples jump-start failed relationships.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Best way to find this kind of help is at this site:

Customer:

I don't know if there is any such a therapist in Louisiana.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

AASECT - Member Directory

Customer:

And my husband has ED (low T).

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Take a look:

Customer:

I did. There isn't one in Louisiana.

Customer:

I didn't think there would be. That would be rather taboo here.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

They are not "hands-on". Let me have a look somewhere else.

Customer:

None in Mississippi or Arkansas, either. But there are a few in Texas.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

What city are you near?

Customer:

Monroe, Louisiana. Northeast corner.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Give me a few moments. The great musician Brandon Harvey is from East Monroe.

Customer:

OK.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

These are therapists in your area. No AASECT members but they claim to help with sexual issues. It is best to read the information that each provides you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Like all other professions there are the good and the great and the outstanding.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_results.php?sid=1366095051.004_26074&city=Monroe&county=Ouachita&state=LA&spec=17&lmore=1

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You will have to copy and past that one.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

paste

Customer:

I did. Do you know which one would take TriCare?

Customer:

(CHAMPUS)

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Let me find out

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

“I provide counseling services in a quiet and confidential setting to adults, teens, children, couples and families. I help my clients learn coping skills, increase self esteem, improve interpersonal skills, and gain insight to improve their level of functioning and find peace in their lives.

(318)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/div>
Monroe, Louisiana 71201

Em

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

She takes TriCare and is the only one.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Let me have another look.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Relationship Issues Therapists in Monroe

Sort by: <a id="1366095051.004_26074&city=Monroe&county=Ouachita&state=LA&s=C&spec=1&spec=468" rel="nofollow" href="http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_results.php?sid=1366095051.004_26074&city=Monroe&county=Ouachita&state=LA&s=C&spec=1&spec=468" target="_blank" title="Sort Therapists
in Monroe, Ouachita County, Louisiana (LA) by Price">Price <a id="1366095051.004_26074&city=Monroe&county=Ouachita&state=LA&s=N&spec=1&spec=468" rel="nofollow" href="http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_results.php?sid=1366095051.004_26074&city=Monroe&county=Ouachita&state=LA&s=N&spec=1&spec=468" target="_blank" title="Sort Therapists
in Monroe, Ouachita County, Louisiana (LA) alphabetically">A-Z Gender

Verified by Psychology Today
Scott A. Shelby
Marriage & Family Therapist, PhD, LMFT, LPC

“In his practice, Dr. Shelby works primarily with couples and families experiencing very difficult and complicated issues (Infidelity, loss of interest in your partner, emotional disconnection/separation, divorce recovery, substance abuse, co-dependency, parent/child issues, career concerns and sexual abuse). When working with individuals and couples suffering from these types of issues, his hopes are to assist individuals, couples and families work through deep hurt, disappointment, anger and other negative emotions and begin to rebuild trust, intimacy, emotional security, love, commitment, self confidence with yourself and your partner/and children.

(318)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/div>
Monroe, Louisiana 71201

Relationship Issues

TRICARE

Add to My List

(318)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/div>
Monroe, Louisiana 71201

Relationship Issues

TRICARE

Add to My List

“I believe that psychotherapy is most effective when client and therapist have a strong alliance and common goals. I strive to provide a comfortable and safe environment, and listen closely to your individual needs. We will discuss our treatment options and strategies together. If you are looking for extra support and guidance through a challenging situation, or are just ready to move in a new direction in your life, I look forward to helping you achieve your goals. I am passionate about my profession and my clients. Please know that you are not alone.

(318)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/div>

Office is near:

Monroe, Louisiana 71203

Relationship Issues

TRICARE

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

These three are relationship counselors that care TriCare.

Customer:

If she's the only one that takes TriCare, then I might have to get a referral to her practice. They all seem so expensive, too. I don't know how many sessions TriCare will allow us...and, boy, do we have issues. It might take a while...

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You have to start somewhere. The alternative is not dealing with the issues.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

All three of them take TriCare.

Customer:

I realize that. And the last thing I want to do is throw away a 23 year old relationship.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I would choose Dr. Scott Shelby as being the most qualified.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

His website is: http://www.familysolutionscounseling.org/scott-shelby.php

Customer:

It doesn't matter to me if the therapist is male or female, but I'm wondering if it'll matter to my husband as he has always had a very low sex drive. Throughout our relationship, I was always the one to initiate sex. After menopause, my interest in sex has declined very much. However, I have been having dreams about it lately, that we argue about sex in my dreams. I think there is a part of me that wants him to start initiating sex (and other things as well). I mean, he doesn't send flowers or take me out to a nice dinner or offer for us to go to a movie together. Yet he's always asking me if I'm going to leave him.

Customer:

I bookmarked his website.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It is the therapist that can help with these issues. I chose him because I like what he says, and he is a PhD in Marriage and Family Therapy. I believe that he can help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Your husband should also check his testosterone level and get supplements if he is low.

Customer:

He is being treated for Low T. However, he ran out of his prescription and I don't know if he's refilled it or not.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If he is taking any antidepressants, that will bring down a person's libido/desire (except for Wellbutrin/bupropion)

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It seems that you have a project that you could get going that could save your quality of life and bring you out of your slump. I wish you great success and will keep you in my prayers.

Customer:

No Wellbutrin. It almost killed me and I think that it scared him enough that he wouldn't want to be on it himself. As for antidepressants, I don't think he's on anything except Seroquil. Is that an antidepressant? I know Lorazapam is for his anti-anxiety.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Is he bipolar?

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX have been most helpful.

Customer:

No. But they (the VA) thinks I am because my mother was.

Customer:

The Seroquil was to help him sleep. But he doesn't want to take it anymore because he has a hard time getting out of bed the next day.

Customer:

I take it, too, but my body is so used to it that it doesn't affect me anymore.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seroquel is an antipsychotic. It is (foolishly in my opinion) given to help sleep. It can greatly lower the libido.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It is also hard to quit.

Customer:

This therapist, Scott, does he prescribe medications?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You sound as if you are just suffering from depression, partly situatiational.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Scott cannot and does not.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Drugs mask symptoms.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Therapists uncover them.

Customer:

Yes. Depression most of my life, actually. The happiest I've ever been was when John and I got married. And if a therapist can uncover our symptoms and help us both get off the medications, then I'm all for it.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Something to look forward to. Your good attitude is a great start.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX have been very helpful. I doubt I get up any time soon, but I'll be calling Dr. Shelby's office when I get up later this afternoon. (Yes, my sleeping habits are rather messed up. I'll be going to the VA to see if I have sleep apnea.)

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Surgery is the best cure if you can do it.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

(voice of experience speaking)

Customer:

What kind of surgery?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Unblock whatever is in the way of proper breathing.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

(tonsils, part of larynx, part of epiglotis).

Customer:

All I know is that when my snoring wakes me up, my vocal cords are what is vibrating. I don't know if I stop sleeping at night because I don't wake up in the middle of the night gasping for breath. I do know, however, that my oxygen saturation gets very low while I'm sleeping because that machine they had me bring home and wear screamed every time my oxygen levels got low.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Might not be for you, but ask..

Customer:

Had my tonsils out when I was 2. But will look into the other parts.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Sleep apnea shortens life and kills.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

LOL

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You are very welcome. I shall keep you both in my prayers.

Customer:

Yes it does.

Customer:

Thank you.

Customer:

Good night. :)

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

So glad to help you. Good night. Breathe well and wake up with a smile to start a new hopeful day.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.