TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

What happens when I just do not feel like doing anything at

What happens when I just do not feel like doing anything at this point of time? I will try to excuse myself from work and things I planned to do, and I know I have to do it (even with consequences)... I will just literally surf internet aimlessly... or just lie in bed... not wanting to do anything?
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

When you experience a lack of motivation to do anything, even things you need to do, then you may be depressed. One of the main symptoms of depression is lack of motivation. It keeps you from wanting to do anything that takes effort.

You can also be suffering from exhaustion if you have been through a particularly difficult time recently. People often feel depleted when they have put out an enormous amount of energy to deal with a life event or an extra ordinary amount of work. It may help you to see your doctor if you feel exhaustion or any other physical issue might be the cause of what you are experiencing.

However, if any physical problem is ruled out, then depression is most likely the cause. If that is the case you may want to try therapy. Therapy is often one of the best ways to feel better. Medications are helpful to deal with the symptoms of depression but they do not get rid of them permanently. Therapy can do that for you. To have a better chance at finding a good therapist, ask your doctor for a referral.

You may also want to try medications. They are helpful to ease symptoms of depression but they do vary in their effectiveness so you may need to try a few different ones to see what works for you. Each person has their own body chemistry and what works for one may not work for another. Also, once you take medication for a while, your body becomes accustomed to it and you either need an increase in dosage or you need to try a new medication. But they can help you deal with the symptoms until therapy helps you.

Support and self help are vital in helping you overcome depression. Consider support groups, either on line or in person. People who are experiencing the same symptoms as you are can offer invaluable support, ideas and companionship to help you feel better. Also, working on your depression at home can supplement your therapy or other treatment. Here are resources to help you get started:

Once you are able to reach out, you will start to feel better. Let others support you and offer help. You do not have to do this alone.

I hope this has helped you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not too sure if I need to seek professional help as the lack of motivation is too much. It had done much damage to my work before and I never was able to get a promotion at work because I tend not to be able to finish something if it drags on for too long.

How do I go about looking for the right type of therapist? I had been to one or two before but perhaps my answers to their questions weren't honest enough for them to get a true diagnosis...

everytime they asked for a follow up, I bail out. I can't sleep and honestly I just do not feel like doing anything but I know I need to keep my job otherwise I cannot survivie... but its getting harder by the day to keep my focus...

everytime I have to wait for a reply or a follow up. I will just not follow through. I don't know if I have ADHD or am bipolar or ??? but still am appearing rather normal to my friends and colleagues. Noone suspects anything... am I just too lazy? is lazy a sickness too? how do I know if its just laziness and not depression??? ...

Being lazy is not so much a sickness as it is a choice. If you feel you are choosing to be as you are and that if you wanted to, you could get up and do things, then it may just be laziness. But if you feel that it is more than that, then it is most likely depression.

It can also be other things. I pointed out depression because it is the most likely cause given the information you gave. A full evaluation is needed though to rule out any other cause. ADHD or Bipolar are possibilities as well but without any other symptoms, it is hard to tell for sure.

You can find a therapist by either asking your doctor for a referral, or you can try this resource to help you find someone:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for the reply and I am looking at possibly going to some therapist to work out what am I exactly facing...

My mood swings really badly when I am by myself. One moment, tickled pink and the next... just down the pits.

Once again, thank you for the response.

You are very welcome! It is a good idea to seek help so you know exactly what you are dealing with and can get the right treatment. If you are dealing with depression or Bipolar (up and down moods are common with Bipolar), then medication can really help you get back to feeling more motivated, especially if you have Bipolar, which is a chemical imbalance in the brain. Therapy can help you cope as well with the symptoms.

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
Thank you very much for the positive rating and bonus! I appreciate it.

My best to you,