Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

Mental Health?

There are times when I suddenly feel light-headed and dizzy. My vision gets blurry as well and I have trouble breathing. My chest and throat feels tight and heavy and I feel like I'll faint any second. These symptoms usually goes away within 5 minutes and has not happened too much, possibly a total of 6 times at most. This also only happens when I am fighting with my parents, but doesn't happen during all fights. The times are very random. I am a 19 year old female.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Rafael M.T.Therapist replied 1 year ago.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am sorry to know about these unpleasant, perhaps shocking symptoms you have been experiencing.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Could you please tell me how long ago did you start experiencing them and if you have had a medical evaluation to make sure everything is fine around your physical health?

Customer:

Sure, I think it started around in middle school

Customer:

And no, I didn't have any medical evaluation

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I see, then you have been having this problem for several years.

Customer:

So far, I've only had a physical done for sports, and I was reported as perfectly fine

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

The first thing I suggest you to do is to get a complete physical evaluation with your doctor just to make sure there is no medical condition associated with these symptoms.

Customer:

Yes, but it hasn't happened for years until now

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Once you get that, you could have certainty, that this is what it seems to be, a psychosomatic problem.

Customer:

Psychosomatic?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Stress, from any negative feeling-experience, whether it is anger, fear, frustration, sadness, or any other could cause psychological problems and physical symptoms, including all those you have listed.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Psychosomatic means the impact your mind and emotions have on your body, since they are interconnected. Your physical body reacts to your mood and mental status, and when being more sensitive, it could present these symptoms and even develop health disorders not because of original physical problems, but out of stress or any other psychological - emotional condition - problem.

Customer:

Then you are saying that I should go see a psychologist?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Right, please look for a mental health professional, this is the professional you need to support you. You'd need a complete psychological evaluation, and from there you would know and better understand what could been happening to you. A therapeutic plan would be discussed and developed with you after assessment. It could be a clinical psychologist with expertise on anxiety and psychosomatic disorders who could evaluate you, but for psychotherapy, it should be a psychologist with training in psychotherapy, or a professional psychotherapist with expertise in psychosomatic problems and anxiety disorders.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

A clinical psychologist could be the best specialist to implement a complete evaluation, but after that you would need a professional with credentials and experience in psychotherapy, specifically around psychosomatic and anxiety related disorders.

Customer:

I see, but from my brief summary, does it seem serious?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Based on what you described, it could be a psychosomatic problem, which mainly would show your extra sensitivity to express through your body your mood and mental status. Learning to better control your sensitivity, and to cope with stressful situations, should allow you to take good care of it.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

We all experience different, less severe psychosomatic symptoms, or the impact of mood and mind over our physical health, like when getting a headache after or during an argument, or a stomach problem out of a stressful situation or fear. This could be the same but more intense.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You would need to relax and handle stress and anxiety much better, and doing so it would allow you not to present this problem. feelings should not be repressed or allowed to overwhelm you, but you would need to learn how to experience, express, vent and process your feelings in healthier ways, and when doing so you would taking good care of your mental and emotional health, and also promoting your physical health and integral well-being.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

The fact that you exclusively experience these symptoms sometimes when fighting with your parents, could show this is what is happening here, if you get truly emotional when under such circumstances, whether you express these emotions or repress them, it could be that they become truly overwhelming for you, and not knowing hot to better handle them, they get expressed physically through those symptoms.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Again, the first step you need to take here is to get a complete physical evaluation to make sure there is no medical problem causing or leading to these symptoms, then the psychological assessment, and from there psychotherapy in consistency with findings from evaluation.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Does it make sense?

Customer:

Yes, it does. Thank you very much!

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're very welcome. Thank you for your trust. Please take gentle care and consistent action, getting the support you need.

Customer:

I will, thank you again!

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Good. Please feel free to contact me for any further support. Bye.

Customer:

Goodbye! Hope you have a nice day.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Thank you! You too.

Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience: MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach