Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

My mental health has been very poor the last few weeks. Its

Customer Question

My mental health has been very poor the last few weeks. It's been a never ending yo-yo for me for as long as I can remember of depression, suicidal thoughts and plans, many incidents of breakdowns, one of which landed me in the hospital last May. Although I was under psychiatric care for 3 years, my Dr. retired and since my breakdown last year have been past from agency to agency not receiving any care. As my recent state of mind has left me feeling desperate, I have been doing some research on-line of my condition. At first I was feeling as though maybe I am bi-poler but i never had the extreme highs and delusions of that affliction. I have come to think that I could have Borderline Personality Disorder and here's why....I have a family history of bi poler, I was severely physically abused until 6, I have very low self esteem (I've always called it no sense of self), have already been diagnosed with depression, have self injurious habits, a real sense of right and wrong ideology, love hate relationships which turn on a dime, quick temper over frivolous things and within the last 2 years have ruined my 23 year marriage by going on a dating sight and having numerous affairs (poler opposite to how I had previously governed my life and quite unlike me). My question is: with no medical support and a desperate need for help, does it sound like I have BPD and how can I get properly diagnosed and find proper specific treatment? I realize this is an American site...I am, however Canadian which I realize makes it more difficult to give advice....
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 3 years ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

This is an international site, and if it makes you feel more comfortable, my mother was born in Ottawa.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

From what you say it sounds as if you have Borderline Personality Disorder.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Here are the "official" criteria from the psychiatric diagnostic manual, DSM-IV, and you will see that you seem to fit the criteria:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

BPD – DSM-IV

1. Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment.

2. A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterised by alternation between extremes of idealization and devaluation.

3. Identity disturbance - markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self.

4. Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging, e.g. spending, sex, substance abuse, reckless driving or binge-eating.

5. Recurrent suicidal behaviour, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behaviour.

6. Affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood, e.g. intense episodic dysphoria, irritability or anxiety, which usually lasts for between a few hours and several days.

7. Chronic feelings of emptiness

8. Inappropriate, intense anger, or difficulty controlling anger, e.g. frequent displays of temper, constant anger or recurrent physical fights.

9. Transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms.

Anyone with six or more of the above traits and symptoms may be diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. However, the traits must be long-standing (pervasive), and there must be no better explanation for them, e.g. physical illness, a different mental illness or substance misuse.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Let me suggest three books from amazon.ca. The first will tell you more about BPD. The second will tell you about one woman's recovery, and the third is about the treatment method quite effective for this disorder, which is known as Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT); this is a self-help workbook to help you get started.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that with this information you will be well on the road to being able to understand who can help you with this disorder, and how best to be helped, and with the DBT book you can even begin some self-help therapy.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I wish you great success and shall keep you in my prayers.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC