Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

My mother increased the Paxil dose from 20 (after 10 years)

My mother increased the Paxil dose from 20 (after 10 years) to 30 because she started feeling anxiety, etc. They switched her Paxil to a generic and within a month she started to feel the same when she felt before she was on paxil (anxiety, depression, etc.). She has been on the 30mg dose of the brand name Paxil now for 4 weeks, she feels a lot better, but she still gets some feeling of I guess anxiety. She will keep thinking to herself that she feels better that she will be better, etc. and when she doesn't then she gets nervous about it. How long will it take for her to be back to her normal self?

Dr Vikas :

Hello

Dr Vikas :

It may take approximately 2-6 weeks and may be an increase in dose by her doctor if she still not respond within the given time period.

Dr Vikas :

If she is still anxious, in the mean while her doctor can prescribe her a low dose of Benzodiazepine like Clonazepam to be taken on as and when needed basis.

Customer:

she is taking something else to her sleep because when she first stopped sleeping her doctor gave her something to help her sleep so she still taking that. I just don't know how to help her, she keeps asking me how she stops thinking about how she will feel better and I just don't know what to say. I told her that it might take a couple of more weeks it has only been 4 (today) since she increased her dose

Dr Vikas :

I can understand your situation. You can assure her by saying that she will respond within the next 1-2 week and if needed the dose of Paxil can be increased further.

Dr Vikas :

A low dose of .25 mg of Clonazepam prescribed by her doctor can also help in controlling this anxiety.

Dr Vikas :

She can also try certain relaxation techniques like deep breathing and progressive muscle relaxation techniques.

Dr Vikas :

Is she already trying any one of them?

Dr Vikas :

?

Customer:

she is excersing, but I don't think she is trying any of the relaxation techniques

Dr Vikas :

OK

Dr Vikas :

I am giving you a link to few of them below.

Customer:

I can't remember the name of her other medecine but I know that it is a very low dose and it also helps with anxiety

Dr Vikas :

Deep breathing and Progressive relaxation techniques can be very useful in her case.

Dr Vikas :

OK, it could be Xanax (Alprazolam) or Ativan (Lorazepam) or Klonopin (Clonazepam)

Customer:

o.k. thank you. I will have her try some of them, she has come a long way from when she first started back in February when she was taking her 20mg of the brand name after taking the generic. so it has only been a month exactly since she has been taking the higher dose. she just really wants to be back to her old self.

Customer:

she went through this already twice before and I keep telling her that the other two times were much worse and she came out a champion so she will come out this time also.

Dr Vikas :

don't worry, she will respond to the medicine very soon.

Dr Vikas :

I agree with you, really encouraging words to a patient experiencing anxiety.

Dr Vikas :

just tell her to try the relaxation techniques whenever she feels anxious.

Customer:

thank you for the assurance, I just had to ask someone else, I was starting to not believe it.

Customer:

yes, I will have her try those techniques

Dr Vikas :

:)

Dr Vikas :

Do you have any other question to ask?

Customer:

No, thank you for your help.

Dr Vikas :

You are most welcome.

Dr Vikas :

Thanks for coming to JA.

Dr Vikas :

Kind regards

Dr Vikas :

Vikas

Customer:

thank you.

Dr Vikas :

If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Please take a moment to rate the answer.