Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

I have been on Sertraline for 5 weeks 50mg per day for tinnitus

I have been on Sertraline for 5 weeks 50mg per day for tinnitus as after I had tinnitus for 1 month I was really panicking, I have been having brain zaps, mood swings, twitching of eyes , arms, head and legs, I can't sleep at night, have no interest in anything. I have just realised this medication is otoxtocity and therefore can create or worsen the tinnitus (it does seem louder). I need to come off this but after reading the withdrawal horror stories I'm so scared. Please help. Also do I need to taper, is there any natural vitamins I can take for panic and tinnutis

Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

I am sorry to learn about your condition and i empathize with you.

Kindly answer a few queries.

1) Since how long a duration have you been suffering from tinnitus ?

2) Have you consulted any ENT (Ear Nose Throat ) specialist for your tinnitus ?

3) Who prescribed you Sertraline for tinnitus when this drug itself is known to cause hyperacusis , that is increased sensitivity to noise hence worsening the problem ?

I will get back to you once you reply to my queries.

Regards..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had tinnitus since early Feb, awaiting ENT appointment and my Dr prescribed Sertraline for me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.

You are currently on the starting dose of Sertraline that is 50 mg per day. The usual dose range is from 50-150 mg per day.

This medicine should be taper down to avoid discontinuation / withdrawal symptoms.

Since you are on the starting dose so it will not be very difficult for you to taper it down.

A patient who is taking 50 mg of Sertraline per day can taper it down by simply reducing the dose to 25 mg per day, take 25 mg for 4 or 5 days followed by discontinuation. Most of the patient are able to taper by trying this method.

In any case, if during or after tapering it down, you start experiencing discontinuation / withdrawal symptoms, your doctor can again restart with 25 or 50 mg per day and then taper it down more slowly.

Unfortunately there are not natural vitamins which can help in panic attack or tinnitus. Your E.N.T doctor will evaluate you fully to find out the cause of tinnitus and then will prescribe you medicines accordingly.

You can discuss with your doctor about the tapering strategy I mentioned above and hopefully you will be able to taper it down easily.

I hope this helps, please feel free to discuss further if you have any other query or doubt.

Kind regards

Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics