Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

I have only taken 0.5 mg of risperidone for 5 days now for

I have only taken 0.5 mg of risperidone for 5 days now for anxiety and ocd. I am also on zoloft 25 mg which I started a week ago.

I was taking 30 mg of remeron every day for 2 months up till saturday when I decided to try the risperidone instead.

I want to quit the risperidone now. Can I cold turkey it if I've only taken it for 5 days?

Dr Vikas :

Customer:

hi

Dr Vikas :

As you are on a very low dose of Risperidone so you can stop it without tapering down in my view. The other possible option is to start taking .5 mg every alternate day for 3-5 days followed by discontinuation.

Dr Vikas :

Please take your doctor consent before doing this as he or she must be aware of your decision.

Customer:

I understand. I contacted the local pharmacist who also said I could resume taking the remeron tomorrow night instead. Is that a good idea?

Dr Vikas :

In my view, if Remeron is to be restarted, the starting dose should be 15 mg which can be increased after a week.

Dr Vikas :

If your doctor has prescribed you Remeron, there is no harm in restarting it again.

Customer:

My psychiatrist gave me the option of doing zoloft-remeron combo or zoloft-risperidone combo. I have always been hesitant to taking medicine and worried about side effects. I know risperidone is a powerful drug. I just want to make sure that I can safely quit taking it and resume the remeron

Dr Vikas :

I can understand that. See, .5 mg of Risperidone is a very low dose (dose range is from 2-6 mg per day).

Dr Vikas :

therefore you are on a very low dose and either it can be stopped cold turkey o you are much worried than you can start taking .5 mg every alternate day for 3 days followed by discontinuation.

Dr Vikas :

A combination of Remeron with Zoloft is a better option for OCD. The dose of Zoloft should be on the higher side that is 100 mg or more than that to notice good response for OCD symptoms.

Customer:

Yeah and I just started the zoloft again on saturday. I know that it'll take a couple months to start working though. I was only on 25 mg for 4 months last year and I felt good at the time. I am supposed to go up to 50 mg tomorrow and yes I will probably go up to 100 mg.

Dr Vikas :

You will surely notice good improvement on 100 mg or higher dose.

Dr Vikas :

:)

Customer:

But just to be sure, starting the remeron again tomorrow night wouldn't be a bad idea? I last took the Risperidone about 2 am yesterday.

Dr Vikas :

Most of our patients respond very well to a combination of Sertraline and Mirtazapine that is Zoloft and Remeron.

Dr Vikas :

not it is not a bad idea at all in my view.

Dr Vikas :

:)

Dr Vikas :

Do you have any other question to ask?

Dr Vikas :

I hope this helps.

Dr Vikas :

If you have any doubt / query, please feel free to discuss further.

Dr Vikas :

otherwise, if you are satisfied with my answer, please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Please take a moment to rate the answer.

Kind regards

Dr Vikas :

Vikas

Customer:

is it ok to take .25 of xanax tomorrow if i need to? even if I take it before the zoloft and remeron?

Dr Vikas :

Yes, .25 mg of Xanax is again a very low dose. If your doctor has also prescribed you Xanax, it can be taken on as and when needed basis in my view. In some patient, Xanax can be very sedative and Remeron itself is very sedative so you have to be extra careful about the excessive sedation these two medicines can cause when taken together.

Customer:

I know, my psychiatrist is sensitive to giving me benzos because they are addictive but since I'm not taking the risperidone tonight I probably won't sleep well and I don't think I can wait till tomorrow night for the remeron.