Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

I have a 27 year old son who is disabled with paranoid schizophrenia.

I have a 27 year old son who is disabled with paranoid schizophrenia. He receives SSI and lives at home with my family. He is not happy with his current psychiatrist and wants to find one who may actually listen to him and not just ask a few standard questions and prescribe meds. He is very interested in alternative spirituality such as magick, shamanism, alchemy, etc. and he'd like to talk with a doctor who will not automatically dismiss these things as delusional. We live in central Oklahoma, how can we find someone like that?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Customer:

Good morning.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Good morning

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Thank you for joining the chat. Let me answer your question.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am sorry to know about this tough path your son and family have been facing because of this mental illness. Psychiatrists, unless they happen top have a second-extra degree in psychotherapy or counseling, would not be open nor able to provide any counseling or psychotherapeutic support, but I do believe that every health practitioner should be very empathetic and open to listen and provide support in professional ways, even when their filed of expertise is limited in other areas. There are psychiatriss, who have education and training in counseling, but there are not many.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

This is why psychotherapy-counseling, specially for mental illness is the ideal source of support next to psychiatric medication. Here is a link for you to review psychotherapist in your state who have a "transpersonal" approach, thus who could understand, respect and support your son in these concerns.

Customer:

I see that you are typing and so you may be providing more information, but can you explain briefly what "transpersonal" means in this context?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

it would be necessary for you to take the time to contact local psychiatrist and ask about their "psychological / therapeutical" orientation. Most psychiatrists with orthodox education would totally disregard any spiritual or transpersonal aspects of experience and of mental disorders, this is why it would be important for you to know if they respect or support humanistic, integral or transpersonal approaches of psychology - psychotherapy, for you to be able to choose one that would be respectful, open, empathetic support.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Transpersonal means an approach that takes into account not only the physical body and mental-emotional processes and behaviors as exclusive brain / nervous system phenomena, but considers the psychological, emotional and spiritual realities as part of our human experience-reality too, and not merely biochemical-neurological-material processes.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Thus a transpersonal approach in psychology and psychotherapy means an openness to consider, respect and explore these other more subtle, subjective areas of human experience, what does not mean the professional denies or neglects the material-biological aspects of psycho-emotional experiences.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I think an integral approach, as the most current approach in psychology and psychotherapy appears as the best way yo understand and treat mental health problems, since it embraces all other classical and more contemporary approaches -worldviews, from where we get a more coherent and complete understanding of human experiences. It includes humanistic approaches, behavioral ones, transpersonal perspectives, and other outlooks too.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

A person presenting paranoid schizophrenia requires consistent psychological support in order to improve understanding and awareness of reality, thus it is very challenging and tricky to work distinguishing what is healthy and part of a spiritual-transpersonal experience, and what is a psychotic symptom, and that's why expertise in these areas is so important to effectively and ethically support people presenting this mental illness.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Does it make sense?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

(thank you for your patience)

Customer:

Yes, it does indeed make sense. There's not many listed in the link you gave me but it's a start.

Customer:

And we only need one, so maybe we'll find exactly what we need on the first or second try.

Customer:

Thank you so much.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Right, it's not easy to find mental health professionals with expertise and experience in transpersonal and integral approaches, but it is worthy for sure to look for them.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're very welcome, thank you for your trust.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You could look online for "integral" and "transpersonal" psychotherapists, just make sure to find real professionals with god credentials and experience in supporting clients with psychotic disorders.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Please feel free to contact me back for any further support.

Customer:

Okay, thanks.