TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

attention deficit hyperactivity disorder is their to understand

attention deficit hyperactivity disorder is their to understand how to deal with it!
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

ADHD is not considered a learning disability. For adults who have the disorder, it is characterized by trouble concentrating, organizing tasks, remembering information and completing work on time. Up to 10% of children are diagnosed with ADHD and 60% of those carry the disorder into adulthood.

The criteria for Adult ADHD is different than with children. Here are some common symptoms you might experience with the disorder:

Chronic boredom
Relationship problems or Marital Difficulties
Tendency to overlook details
Not paying attention during conversations, inability to listen well (in any conversation)
Easily distracted
Emotional difficulties

Medications can do wonders. The medications work by stimulating the pre frontal cortex of the brain. This area of the brain remains in a less mature state (ability to organize) and has trouble dealing with the impulses from the central part of the brain where wants and desires emerge. The medication simply "wakes up" the pre frontal cortex further and allows it to function as it should.

These medications do have some side effects such as possible sleep issues and changes in appetite. However, for short term use, they are usually considered safe.

To find out if you have ADHD, an evaluation with a mental health therapist (Master's level or above) can provide you with a diagnosis and treatment options. Talk to your doctor about a referral, or you can search on line for a therapist at

You can also use self help and support groups to help control your symptoms, if you have ADHD. Here are some resources to help:

You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?!: The Classic Self-Help Book for Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder by Kate Kelly, Peggy Ramundo and Edward M. M.D. Hallowell

I hope this has helped you,

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!