Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

Hello! My names Austin, Im 16, and Ive been on a coctail

Hello! My name'sXXXXX 16, and I've been on a coctail of medications for a year or more, they include the following:

Clonazepam: 1mg twice a day (morning and night)
Effexor: 225mg in the morning
Beta Blocker: Not sure of dosage or name of it, but I take it in the morning.

Here's my question/story: I have had anxiety all of my life, but up until I was about 14 no one could put a name on what I had, I found out it was anxiety, and as highschool went on it got worse. I started using marijuana all of the time to control it for all of last summer, it was EXTREMELY bad! I was smoking all night, all day.. I decided I wanted to stop smoking, so I did. That's when things got out of control. I had panic attacks all day, and constant anxiety, worry and depression. I went to the mental hospital about a couple of weeks after quitting the pot, which is when I was perscribed these medications.

So it was a month or two ago when I felt I could control my anxiety, so I cut my klonopin's in half, and did great! I felt more alive. I decided a couple weeks ago that I wanted to slow down on my effexor, which was a terrible idea.. I cut the pill in 1/4s so I took 3 quarters of the pill for about a week and was feeling great! Then I cut it down to half a pill, the first day was good, the second day was a living hell. Everything came back, and I MEAN EVERYTHING. I was having hot flashes, my skin would get extremely red and almost have bubbles on it from how fast my mind was and is still thinking. I got back on my full dose of everything! It set me back so far, and I'm still feeling bad. My mind feels weird, my brain feels like a balloon, I want to pop it almost. I'll feel fine and happy one moment, and the next I'll be having attacks and be so tired!!!! I'm going to see my phsyc tomorrow, but I'm scared. I don't want to be on this drug anymore and I don't want to have anxiety and panic. It has ruined my life in every way possible. I'm no longer a functioning human being, and I want the opposite of that. I keep forgetting things too!

I want to be better and I'd give anything to feel better, without meds. So much to where i'd let someone take off my limbs in exchange for mental feeling better. I would do anyyyyytthing ANYTHING ANYTHING ANYTHING TO BE NORMAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do I tell my phyciatrist tommrow? I'm so sad and I need help from someone thats the best of the best, XXXXX XXXXX all of my money, my car, my computer, my tv, my bed, EVERYTHING TO GET HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me what to do, I'm burdening my family, and I feel terrible.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.

Dr Vikas :

Hello

Dr Vikas :

I can understand your situation but believe me it is not that much complicated as you think.

Customer:

What do I do? I feel abnormal. My brain feels like its expanding, and my anxiety is never ending.

Dr Vikas :

Marijuana consumption can indeed precipitate anxiety and panic attacks in many patients. Even consuming marijuana once can precipitate anxiety or panic attacks which can become chronic.

Dr Vikas :

I am coming to that.

Customer:

Okay.

Dr Vikas :

So this was the first mistake to consume Marijuana.

Dr Vikas :

now your doctor started antianxiety medicine clonazepam and Effexor (antidepressant) which probably controlled your symptoms?

Dr Vikas :

right

Dr Vikas :

?

Customer:

Correct, and I forgot to mention I'm on 50mg of Trazadone for sleep.

Dr Vikas :

these medicines should be taken for at least 8-12 months once patient start noticing improvement and then need to be taper down slowly.

Dr Vikas :

excluding Clonazepam which can be taper down earlier within 1-2 months

Dr Vikas :

but you tried to stop them earlier?

Dr Vikas :

right

Customer:

Yes, but during 10 months. I did not tell my doctor, which was a mistake. I read all of these horror stories on effexor and it made me want to taper, but now everythings back and worse.

Customer:

Plus the extra side effects im still getting.

Dr Vikas :

see, tapering Effexor can be a bit problematic in some patients but in such case the usual strategy is to taper down slowly. Most patients are able to stop Effexor by slow tapering without any significant problem.

Dr Vikas :

Right now, your anxiety symptoms are very severe?

Customer:

yes, extremely severe. and my head feels weird.

Dr Vikas :

OK, and the dose of Clonazepam and Effexor you are taking is?

Customer:

but im on the dose as perscribed now, and have been for 4 days now, maybe even 5

Dr Vikas :

is it Effexor XR or plain Effexor?

Customer:

Clonazepam: 1mg once in the morning 1mg at night, plain effexor in the morning at 225mg

Dr Vikas :

as you have restarted the medicines in previous full dose so your symptoms will be under control within the next 3-4 days and you need not to worry about them too much. Worrying will simply increase the anxiety part significantly.

Dr Vikas :

Immediate release Effexor is usually taken in 2-3 dose and your doctor will adjust the dose timing accordingly.

Customer:

but did you know that I have been on the full dose for around 4 days now? so i do have to wait an extra 3-4 on top of that before i begin to feel normal again?

Customer:

im better then i was before, but its still bad.

Dr Vikas :

yes, you tried to reduce the dose abruptly and probably that lead to discontinuation / withdrawal symptoms.

Customer:

yes

Dr Vikas :

which can be significant for both clonazepam as well as effexor.

Dr Vikas :

so it may take few more days or may be less

Dr Vikas :

but your symptoms will be under control very soon.

Customer:

okay. do you belive that the marijuana has caused anxiety, and do you belive that ill be ever medicine free and anxiety free in my life? I've never been so scared.

Dr Vikas :

if you think that effexor is not the right medicine for you than you can ask your doctor to shift you on Fluoxetine (Prozac) which is easier to taper down later on.

Dr Vikas :

yes, I have seen several patients presenting with anxiety after consuming Marijuana even once in their lifetime.

Customer:

but will it even subside? i feel like ill im doing by taking medication is the same i was doing with marijuana. it doesnt fix the problem it just make you numb to it

Customer:

right?

Customer:

im exauhsted at this young age and i feel like i want to live a happy life without any substance or anxiety

Dr Vikas :

as I mentioned before, all you need to do is to take the medicines prescribed by your doctor for the required time period and then taper them down slowly and their are high chances that your medicines will be stopped. :)

Dr Vikas :

right now, your anxiety symptoms as well as ?withdrawal symptoms are very severe and that is why you are feeling this way. Don't worry, once the regular medicines are started, these symptoms will subside and everything will be back to normal. Then you simply need to follow your doctor advice and take these medicines regularly.

Dr Vikas :

your doctor will taper them down and stop at the appropriate time.

Customer:

okay. do you belive that marijuana has caused me permanent anxiety though? will i have it even if he does taper me off my medicine? im just very afraid of living with this my full life if you know what i mean

Dr Vikas :

No, I don't think so, there is no such thing as permanent anxiety :)

Dr Vikas :

most patients are able to stop their medicines within 1-2 years as seen clinically.

Dr Vikas :

you will be living a normal life, don't worry about that.

Dr Vikas :

a bit.

Dr Vikas :

just tell your psychiatrist that you tried to stop your medicines and he or she will adjust the dose accordingly.

Dr Vikas :

and everything will be back to normal once again.

Dr Vikas :

are you there?

Customer:

yes im sorry i had to let my parents know what you said. and do you know how much better you've made me feel?

Dr Vikas :

:)

Customer:

is there a way i can choose you if i ever have another problem?

Dr Vikas :

yes, you can Bookmark my profile link in your browser. ( http://www.justanswer.com/mental-health/expert-drvikas/ )

Dr Vikas :

or can ask question starting with " For Dr Vikas only- "

Customer:

thank you so much! once you said there is no such thing as permanent anxiety, that took a big weight off my shoulders!!!! and i just bookmarked your page. will do

Dr Vikas :

you are most welcome.

Customer:

do i just exit here since youve helped me? and how do i put in a good word for you

Dr Vikas :

If you are satisfied with my answer please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5 / smiley faces) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Customer:

okay sounds good!

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics