Ryan LCSW
Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist
16045978

I have a been considering for a long time now the possibility

I have a been considering for a long time now the possibility that I have an attachment disorder. I have done a lot of research on the symptoms and I understand that there are two main categories (anxious and avoidant). I was wondering if it is possible to exhibit characteristics of both depending on the other person in the relationship. I was in therapy for a few months, but have stopped as I was not happy with the person that I was working with. I am currently looking for a new therapist.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am the moderator for this topic. I've been trying to find a professional to assist you, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected, as the professionals come online at varying times. I wonder whether you would like to continue waiting for an answer…hopefully it won’t take too much longer. Please let me know, and I will continue my search. If you’d prefer not to wait, please tell me, and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Camille - Moderator

Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question.

Although there are two main categories of attachment disorders as you mentioned, the symptoms of each often overlap, sometimes to the point where it is difficult to actually distinguish which type of attachment disorder a person has. The good news is that attachment disorders are generally treated similarly, and cognitive behavior therapy techniques are shown to be very effective in these situations.

Improvement in these areas does depend on having a therapist that you feel comfortable with and who is experienced in these issues. Most psychologists and licensed therapists should be able to help you with this problem, although it is always be helpful to ask them a few questions regarding their experience with attachment disorders prior to scheduling an appointment.

There is a good website www.healthgrades.com that is very helpful in finding a therapist in your area by entering your zip code. You may also be able to review former client reviews of the therapists on this website, which can be very helpful in making your decision. I definitely wish you the best with all of this, and if there's anything else I can do to help just let me know.

Ryan
Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience: Individual and Family Therapist