Dr. L
Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience:  Psychologist, Marriage and Family Therapist
63993671

Have you ever heard of highly sensitive person? Being one sucks.

Customer Question

Have you ever heard of highly sensitive person? Being one sucks. In a crowd room it's like 10-15 radios playing different stations around you. You tire easily, because too much stimuli. Cortisol levels drop recluse is needed. This is my question. Does anyone know how to treat this? And where can I get help? I have lost most my life to this.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. L replied 1 year ago.

Dr. L :

Dr. L :

I would like to help you with your question.

Dr. L :

As a psychologist for some 30 years...yes, I have worked with highly sensitive people. I refer you to this very good book:

Dr. L : The Highly Sensitive PersonBy Elaine Aron
Dr. L :

Yes...you can get help by seeing a therapist who has training and experience working with people like you.

Dr. L :

Yes...the description you give about cortisol changes, fatigue, and over stimulation is difficult to manage. Meditation, yoga, deep breathing exercises...can all be beneficial. Exercise is another good way to manage the symptoms.

Dr. L :

Here are a few resources:

Dr. L :

http://breatheology.com/services/articles/health/the-nervous-system-and-the-vagus-nerve

Dr. L :

This is a good article on the vagus nerve.

Dr. L :

A Calm Brain by Gayatri Devi

Dr. L :

A great book on calming the body.

Dr. L :

And absolutely respite - taking yourself out of stressful and over-stimulating situations - is critical to keeping your "self" in a place of harmony and peace.

Dr. L :

Please take a look at the article and a review of the book.

Dr. L :

I await your reply.

Dr. L :

Thank you.

Customer:

thanks , i have seen the information by elein aron " the highly sensitive person" i have not read it. i am not a person who likes pity. i have a good handle on why i am this way.not too many psychiatrist know how to help someone like me. easy for them to think all i want to be a pill addict ( benzodiazepines). this is hard for you to judge without knowing me. As you know they help with over stimulation. using stress reduction and exercise will benefit with control of cortisol. i worry about when i get in desperate situations. Hard to shut down and bad thoughts are associated when in depression/desperation. You have 30yrs experience, is this even diagnosed? or is this still considered as baloney by some? i need the truth. i have experienced this for too long. it has made me suicidal before. sorry, desperation. my next question is if i asked a psychiatrist if they know of hsp, could i get help i need? or should i just tell them the associated symptoms? i really do appreciate you help.

Dr. L :

Dr. L :

I take your situation seriously. I can't speak for other professionals necessarily...but I would believe that there are others out there who can help you. I would stick with the symptoms when describing yourself. It's not that what you are experiencing is baloney...but in my mind there is no need to put you in a box as you - and any other client - deserves to be treated in an individual way. When we put people in a box then the tendency is to say...well because they are xyz then the typical/normal path of treatment is abc. This ignores a whole lot of other adjunctive issues that are specific to this person and to others.

Dr. L :

Please read the book...and there are several others as well that are work a look-see:

Dr. L :

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/201107/sense-and-sensitivity

Dr. L : The Highly Sensitive Person's Survival Guide: Essential Skills for Living Well in an Overstimulating World
Dr. L :

Also..could I ask why you want to see a psychiatrist rather than a psychologist?

Dr. L :

If you want to have therapy...then a psychologist is your best choice.

Dr. L :

If you want medication...then a psychiatrist is the person to see.

Dr. L :

Of course you don't want pity...and I truly don't know why a competent, skilled professional would treat you in that way. Rather...what you need is help to manage your sensitivity and encouragement that you can do so.

Dr. L :

I'm sorry I mistyped a sentence above. What I meant was:

Dr. L :

This ignores a whole lot of other adjunctive issues that are specific to this person and NOT to others. Each of us is unique. Your highly sensitiveness is not exactly the same as someone elses...you may share some similar characteristics...yet for each person it is a unique dance.

Dr. L :

I await your response.

Dr. L :

Thank you.

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX need the right person to listen. you did. and made no assumptions. i hope to find someone who does help. you made a difference. i feel less lost and know im not crazy to feel those ways. with great thanks tom flowers

Dr. L :

You are very, very welcome Tom!

Dr. L :

I appreciate the opportunity to have helped you today!

Dr. L :

If you should ever want to chat in the future...just ask for me by name and I will be notified.

Dr. L :

Take care!

Customer:

you take care too. and i will. thanks again

Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience: Psychologist, Marriage and Family Therapist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks again for your help dr. L,

i made another appointment with a psychiatrist. the depression meds help me not to fall into a downward spiral from worrying. the corazopan help with feeling over whelmed and going into anxiety. i know the meds arent the solution.

they help with clear thinking, until i can develop better habits and safe routines. i am going to see a counselor to learn some stress reduction techniques and any other ideas you might suggest.

i am concerned about how to describe my conditions to the psychiatrist. from past experience, it is easier to make a person think of what the problem is; instead of tell them the answer is.

my plan is to first to talk about the worry and how it makes me tired everyday. then the difficulty with crowds and this has been a true most my life. finally how the stress and worry start causing anxiety. then i go into a depression spiral.

it is all true and will help me focus on changes in lifestyle and using my hsp , instead of it controlling me. the chlorizapan is not a maintenance medicine, i know. so i take when i am sure i need it.. i was a pot smoker once and familiar with dependency.

i really really appreciate your understanding and knowledge. any other advice or recommendations about my ideas would greatly appreciated.

with sincere respect

t. flowers

Expert:  Dr. L replied 1 year ago.
Yes...there is a time and place for medication. As long as you use them appropriately, understand the dependency issue, then you will be okay.

I like your plan for talking to the psychiatrist. There is no need to mention HSP. The psychiatrist willl make his/her own determination as to a diagnosis and really needs you to clearly state what you are experiencing.

As I mentioned before, you will do better if you embrace your hsp for what it "gives" you, rather than looking at it in terms of how difficult it makes life. HSP gives you the ability to hear, see, and experience things that lots of people miss! I have found that people with HSP are very compassionate and very good listeners. And yes...the down side is getting tired and overwhelmed. A therapist can help you sort these things out and learn to gain more control over your hsp.

Journaling is a good way to track your feelings. As you put things down on paper you are able to get them "out of your head"...and this provides relief.

I would like to suggest that you journal every evening before bedtime by writing about your day and making a list of everything you worried about. Once you get these worries on the paper...you can say to yourself...I have made a list of my worries. Because they are now written down, I don't have to think of them any more today. I can read them tomorrow if I need to be reminded what they are, but I can also feel safe in knowing they are here in my journal.

This process will help you let go of your worries as you will know that you have made a permanent record of them!

Let me know what you think about this.