TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I am 25, my husband is 26 years old OKMH45211

Customer Question

I am 25, my husband is 26 years old and was recently diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and was told by his psychiatrist that he is borderline sociopathic. Apparently the doctor also said that I was the only reason my husband hasn't become fully sociopathic. I am not really sure what all this means, and I am not sure how to continue on in my relationship with this information. I love my husband, and am not going to divorce him I just do not know how to proceed from this point. Any help would be appreciated.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It makes sense if someone is diagnosed with a personality disorder such as Borderline, but what doesn't make sense is that the doctor is telling you that you are the reason your husband is not fully sociopathic. Either he meant that being married to you shows your husband is not fully sociopathic (having a meaningful connection would help someone who is sociopathic) or he means that just by being with your husband you are preventing him from being sociopathic, which in itself is not possible. No one can prevent someone from becoming sociopathic just from their presence in their life.

One of the first steps you can take is to get a second opinion. If your husband agrees, you can get the first psychiatrist's evaluation for the second appointment, which may help the second doctor answer some of your questions. You need to know if this diagnosis is correct and what your options are.

The next step would be to learn more about personality disorders and specifically about Borderline. The more you know the more tools you have to help yourself and your husband navigate through this process. Here are some resources that may help: order-difficult-to-diagnose/6070.html

Thirdly, you may want to consider getting counseling for yourself and for your husband if he is willing. Hearing that your husband has a personality disorder and that he could be sociopathic is not easy. It would help to have support and someone who understands this disorder help you work through your feelings.

I hope this has helped you,
Can I help you any further?