Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

Hello, I have been asking Paxil 30mgs for 0ver four years.

I have been asking Paxil 30mgs for 0ver four years. I was prescribed this from my dr fr my anxiety. I have been taking trazadone 100mgs for over two years now to treat insomnia. I take them boh at bed time. I really do not want to be on tese drugs forever. I'm 30 years old now and don't enjoy some of the side effects. But am afrad to lose sleep or be anxious What are my options ?

Dr Vikas :

Dr Vikas :

Are you currently asymptomatic?

Dr Vikas :

felling totally alright

JACUSTOMER-dedd7w02- : Sometimes I'm a little anxious I would say on a scale from 1-10 a 4 or 5. And if I don't take my medication for even one des (I take both at night) I don't sleep which increases the anxious feelings
Dr Vikas :

OK, but it happens only occasionally.

Dr Vikas :

In that case, in my view, since you are taking these medicines for a long time so you can request your doctor to taper them down and stop them completely.

JACUSTOMER-dedd7w02- : Yes not all the time
JACUSTOMER-dedd7w02- : That's what I was thinking. But should I taper them both down at the same time?
Dr Vikas :

For occasional anxiety related issues or difficulty in sleeping, you can ask your doctor to prescribe you a mouth dissolving preparation of Clonazepam in a dose strength of .25 or .5 mg to be taken on as and when needed.

Dr Vikas :

this tablet can control your anxiety symptoms immediately as it bypass gastric metabolism

Dr Vikas :

patient can start notice improvement within minutes to half an hour.

Dr Vikas :

regarding tapering those two antidepressants, you can taper them down together under your doctor supervision.

JACUSTOMER-dedd7w02- : Ok. Thank you !
Dr Vikas :

You are most welcome.

Dr Vikas :

Do you have any other question to ask?

Dr Vikas :

Please feel free to discuss further if you have other questions and press the reply back button. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5)/ smiley faces as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Please take a moment to rate the answer.

Kind regards