Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

so mydaughter has been on 150 mg of about seven months and

Customer Question

so mydaughter has been on 150 mg of about seven months and had put on like almost 30 pounds she is 25 well she dropped herself to 100mg andwent to doctor, i came a long he as rude he said make your mind up you can gain weight or have anixaty what one do you want, i was not happy with this doc, she told him i dont want to keep getting fat, ill be more unhappy, so he is weneing her off, 50mg 1 week half it the next week, but he told her to take 20mg of prozac,can she mix them, she is afraid to o this so she has just been dropping the zolft, what the heck paid a 80.00 co pay for rudeness.....
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I am sorry that you both had to experience this rude doctor. This is unprofessional.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

However, he was correct in adding the Prozac to help her wean off the Zoloft. It makes it a lot smoother, and in the end is easier to get off the Prozac, which is a very similar SSRI to Zoloft but has a longer half-life which makes it easier to discontinue without symptoms.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Weight gain is very typical with most antidepressants.

Customer:

yes it was sad, when i went in with her, isaid i pay ,so i came along, he said oh you have to get your money worth

Customer:

so should she take them at the same time

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Yes, he may be a rude so and so but his method was correct.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

There is one antidepressant that is effective for depression and anxiety, does NOT cause weight gain and may even help her lose a little.

Customer:

ok, she dose seem a bit tired day 4 at 50mg, so should she take them together

Customer:

what is that

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It is called bupropion (Wellbutrin) and also does not cause sexual side effects (reduced libido or desire).

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Follow the doctor's regimen. He knows medicine. He just has a rotten "bedside manner".

Customer:

ok, ill see she sees him in 12 weeks,

Customer:

ok we will do that than,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Perhaps you could even make that sooner.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Bupropion is excellent.

Customer:

thank you i was just wanting to make sure she could mix

Customer:

them

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Absolutely. It is the preferred manner to ease the withdrawal side effects.

Customer:

how long dose it take to get off of this stuff without alful side effects

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The schedule she is on should indicate that. Usually a couple of months to do it prudently.

Customer:

ok than how long dose these side effects last when getting off this stuff,

Customer:

ok thn well tankyou one more thing and im done, will she always have this promblem or can she overcome it with meds

Customer:

without

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

She may be prone to anxiety. There may also be stressors in her life that will come and go and perhaps there is a little extra stress or pressure on her now that is making her more anxious. It is something that ALL of us suffer from.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I shall keep both of you in my prayers.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Customer:

thank you so much for your time :)

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I wish the very best for her. She will be fine.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.