kerri
kerri, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Qualified psychotherapist. Areas of expertise include family,parenting,relationships
57974880

My 37 year old nephew is severely abusing anxiety meds and

My 37 year old nephew is severely abusing anxiety meds and leaving suicidal messages almost daily now for members of his family. What can we do to save his life? He is in denial about his mental health and angry at attempts to help him.

kerri :

Your nephew must have had the medication prescribed by a doctor in which case, you can make contact with the prescribing doctor as a matter of urgency, and let him know what's going on. As a concerned member of the family, you can seek advice from that doctor as well as informing the doctor of what you know is happening.

Customer:

Unfortunately I don't know the name of the doctor who prescribed the medication. But in the last few weeks my nephew has checked himself into a hospital 2 or 3 times when he ran out of meds and went into convulsions. Could I check with that hospital?

kerri :

Yes, you can apply the same strategy to the hospital where the mental health team would have the details/records of his recent admissions - They will then know his situation has not improved. They should be able to organise follow up. Tell them of the urgency and mention the suicide notes.

Customer:

I'll try that. Thanks very much for your help.

kerri :

Are there other family members who might be able to influence some action in getting him to attend the hospital again. It is a big responsibility for you to be involved but when something is this urgent, you cant easily ignore it.

Customer:

I'm not quite clear about what you meant in saying "who might be able to influence some action in getting him to attend the hospital again." Do you a family member who could persuade him to go to the hospital again re his drug abuse?

kerri :

Yes, someone who can tolerate or help control his anger and persuade him, perhaps even accompany him as his support person.

Customer:

All members of his immediate family are in other parts of the country. He has a close friend here who has been going to the hospital with him, but tonight she told me he gets very angry now with her. His thinking is not clear. If need be, could a family member have him committed to a mental health facility without his consent?

kerri :

Firstly, inform the clinical team where he was last admitted and get their advice.

Customer:

OK. That sounds good. That I will do. Thanks very much, Kerri.