Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

i was unhappy with my last psychiatrist! if i get another one

Customer Question

i was unhappy with my last psychiatrist! if i get another one do I have to tell who i went to before?I am concerned they will know each other and discuss it!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 3 years ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

There were reasons that you were unhappy with your last psychiatrist. Perhaps he did not listen to you, did not diagnose you properly, or even gave you inappropriate medications. Whatever the reasons, he is in the past.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I would not discuss this with your new psychiatrist, who by law should not discuss your case with anyone else, without your written permission.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He might be interested in seeing your medical record or asking you, but it would be appropriate for you to say that you would rather start fresh and get his untainted assessment of you. You can tell him that this was also the advice of a psychotherapist with whom you spoke.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

They will probably not discuss you, but you cannot control people and cannot control their fulfillment of their ethical obligations. One would hope that they would not discuss you (actually against the HIPAA laws). However, you have a right to your own discretion and to not let one person's assessment influence another on something as critical as your own emotional well-being.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I am sure that this will not be a problem. I trust that the new psychiatrist will be much more effective and accommodating for you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If I have missed something, please get back to me.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I shall keep you in my prayers.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC