Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

what is the safest highest dose of lorazepam?

Customer Question

what is the safest highest dose of lorazepam? Trying to taper from 2mg x3 daily.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 3 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

Kindly mention the condition for which you want to use lorazepam as the safest highest dose of lorazepam varies depending upon the underlying condition for which it is used ?

I will get back to you once you reply to my query.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Panic and depression, the problem with it is that it is highly addictive and the effective dose is increasing.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Panic disorder, anxiety disorder , severe clinical depression

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have you received my explanations.

For the above mentioned conditions the highest safest dose of lorazepam is 6 mg / day as beyond this dose this drug does not yield any extra benefits for symptom relief but instead it may pose risk for development of side effects such as respiratory and central nervous system depression.

So i reckon you shall ask your doctor to consider using a potent anti depressant like lexapro at dose of 10-20 mg / day or zoloft at dose of 50-150 mg / day as the mainstay for managing your conditions instead of relying on high dose of lorazerpam as it is always bound to develop abuse and addiction somewhere along it's use and that is the reason why it is recommended for short duration usage.

If you are already on an anti depressant then what you can do is that you can ask your doctor to add an augmenting agent like lamictal at dose of 50-150 mg / day or abilify at dose of 15-30 mg / day , so as to give some more teeth to the drug regime in order to establish good control over your mentioned conditions.

This drug regime comprising of 1 anti depressant and one of the augmenting agents shall be formidable enough to bypass the use of lorazepam which then can be conveniently brought off.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.