abray1115
abray1115, Doctor
Experience:  Primary care with particular care and experience in managing common psychiatric problems.
13781349

I dont even know where to start.My boyOKMH0403217

I don't even know where to start. My boyfriend, of almost 4 years now, has recently been going through some very stressful circumstances as well as doing drugs, specifically methamphetamines. He had started hearing voices and talking to God, that went on for a bit and it kept getting worse and worse, I was at my wits end and drove him to a hospital, a mental health facility, and asked, ok I begged him to admit himself, which he did, he stayed overnight and discharged himself AMA. I didn't know what to do. So I took him home, but the voices never go away, and over the last weekend, I was away, he had a BB gun, the cops were called by a neighbor, and he tried to commit suicide by cop, didn't succeed, thankfully, but is now in jail, charged with possession of a firearm and death threats, or something to that effect. I know there were no firearms in the home. But I don't know what to do or how to handle him or the situation, PLEASE HELP! I love the man I knew, but he is hard to find lately, I'm not ready to give up on him, i love him more than my own life, can't give up on him.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  abray1115 replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!!
Anthony Bray MD : i recommend that you start with YOURSELF!!
Anthony Bray MD : Make appointment to see a psychologist for counseling!!
Anthony Bray MD : i think this will help you to place your life situation into perpesctive .....
Anthony Bray MD : I think you are in a very dangerous situation with your boyfriend.....he is out of control and currently is. A danger to both himself and You!
Anthony Bray MD : I think that the potential option of counseling for both you and boyfriend is there but the combination of his drug abuse and psychotic symptoms pose a great danger both to you and him!!
Anthony Bray MD : I believe that you need to start your evaluation with you and then your troubled relationship as secondary.....
Anthony Bray MD : At this point in your life he may seem to be more important to you than your own life but will this still be your perspective 5 years from now???
Anthony Bray MD : What if he abuses you? What if he harms you? Will this relationship be worth the potential harm to you??
Anthony Bray MD : From what you have said I have no doubt that your boyfriend needs help. I suspect that his need for help is beyond your capacity to control the situation.
Anthony Bray MD : I think that a trial separation and mutual counseling maybe an option.....
Anthony Bray MD : I realize that parts of my response is not likely to be what you wish to hear. I hope that this is helpful to you though....
Anthony Bray MD : Your boyfriend is on a very dangerous situation with his drug ( a very wicked drug) abuse and his psychiatric problems....
Anthony Bray MD : I would urge you to avoid letting him drag you down.....
Anthony Bray MD : A psychologist would be a helpful step for you that may have the potential to include him/ her seeing your boyfriend as well as you!!!
Anthony Bray MD : I hope this information helps you! Let me know if you have further questions or discussion and I will be happy to get back with you!!
Anthony Bray MD : if my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated! Thank you and best regards,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
abray1115, Doctor
Experience: Primary care with particular care and experience in managing common psychiatric problems.