Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

My anxiety feels like a bloated feeli.g in the abdomen...difficult

My anxiety feels like a bloated feeli.g in the abdomen...difficult taking a deep breath
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

When anxiety becomes pronounced it can produce body feelings that tend towards panic reactions, which is a form of anxiety.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

One of those feelings is the inability to catch your breath. Another is increased heart rate.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

A person can also feel tingly, frightened, fear dying, feel dissociated from their body, perspire a great deal, and have feelings of terrible discomfort, even chest pains.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

These are the symptoms of panic attack. The inability or difficulty in taking a deep breath is quite common in this manifestation of anxiety.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The medication, alprazolam (Xanax) can ease this feeling with a low dosage, TAKEN ONLY AS NEEDED.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Used carefully and sparingly, it is a wonderful and effective antianxiety medication, but it must be respected because it can be addictive.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The feeling of not being able to take a deep breath will not hurt you and neither will the rapid heart beats. Try shallow breathing or try to take that deep breath it you can. Tell yourself that you are merely having an anxiety attack and it will soon be over.

JACUSTOMER-n18nul0f- : The bloated feeling is constant
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You are not digesting your food properly because of the anxiety.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

What kind of diet do you usually follow?

JACUSTOMER-n18nul0f- : To the point I have no appetite or I am affraid to eat for fear that the feeling will worsen
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You are taking in enough water and nutrients I assume, to keep your health up. You must have plenty of water.

JACUSTOMER-n18nul0f- : I don't have a diet
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I mean, what do you eat and drink?

JACUSTOMER-n18nul0f- : I don't have a diet I just don't eat
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Do you drink water? You need about 8 glasses a day. If not you will be ill and have digestion problems.

JACUSTOMER-n18nul0f- : I do need to inrease my water intake but it sometimes makes me feel more bloated
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

And you need nutrients or you will become lightheaded and may start to suffer many physical and mental consequences. You will become hypoglycemic.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Do you not eat because of the bloated feeling?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

As well as not drink?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It is very possible that this feeling you have is an obsessive reaction to whatever is making you feel anxious. What is it that makes you have anxiety? What are your stressors?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

What is going on in your life? Are you sad? Angry? Have you been hurt? I would like to help you and I know you want some help. That is why you are here.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I want to help you.

JACUSTOMER-n18nul0f- : I am a little umhappy @ one of my jobs... I came home for a visit and I'm still here totally unplanned... Now my g
JACUSTOMER-n18nul0f- : I am a lil umhappy @ one of my jobs, I came home for a visit and awhole year has past and I'm still hereand inthe the midst my grandmotje
JACUSTOMER-n18nul0f- : I v
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I am here and listening!

JACUSTOMER-n18nul0f- : came home for a visit and I'm still here, I am a lil unhappy @ one of my jobs ( I have 2)... In the midst my grandmotjer jas been dianosed woth stage 4 cancer
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

And this news, which was so hard for you to even type, is probably what has left you feeling devastated because you are so close to her, I imagine.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You must be strong for her. You must not allow yourself to become weak by starving yourself. You cannot help her unless you become strong and get past this. You must begin right away to regain your courage and your strength, and get some nutritional help and find a one-on-one therapist or counselor to help you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I know that you have left the chat. It is late.

JACUSTOMER-n18nul0f- : I'm still here but maybe I should go to bed... I feel a lil better... As for the counseling I'll work on the finances for that... I actually living with my grandmother so I'm @ the frontlines of this, I knw I have to be strong... I akso feel as though I don't have mt own space now that that I am back here... This was not what I had in mind when I came to visit, I almost feel trapped because I been living away for 16 yrs
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You can get back to me tomorrow if you like. I will just save this chat and you can come back to it. I do want to help you and am glad that you are feeling a bit better. We can figure out where to go from here. I am with you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.