Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

"I have concerns about adhd and wanted to see if i should pursue

"I have concerns about adhd and wanted to see if i should pursue looking for help. Many people in my family have been diagnosised with add/adhd- i have severe anxiety and ocd. I cant concentrate on my job and it is seriously affecting my personal life. I took an online test and scored 25, not sure what that means. My mom wasnt diagnosised until she was 48 years old- i dont want to live life not knowing- please help, any advice is appreciated.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.

Dr Vikas :

Hello

Dr Vikas :

Is it possible for you to mention the website where you tried this test. Otherwise you can try another test and let me know about your scores so that we can discuss further.

Customer: I did the test you sent and scored 17
Dr Vikas :

OK, thanks for trying the screening test

Dr Vikas :

According to this test, it is likely that you could be suffering from Adult ADHD, although a face to face interview with a psychiatrist is required to say this conclusively.

Dr Vikas :

Many a times, it is bit difficult to differentiate between anxiety symptoms, adult ADHD and depressive symptoms so a psychiatric evaluation is necessary.

Dr Vikas :

Are you also suffering from anxiety and OCD and taking treatment for them?

Customer: Yes i have both. I am currently trying medications to find something that works. So far i have tryed 3 different medications with no improvement.
Dr Vikas :

See, on the basis of this short online quiz, ADHD is likely and may be that is why you are not noticing improvement in your symptoms with the current medicines because these medicines are not controlling the ADHD symptoms.

Dr Vikas :

May I know about the medicines you are taking or have tried already?

Customer: Yes; Prozac, Lexapro, Paxil and also Kolonopin
Dr Vikas :

OK, these medicines are not much useful for ADHD although can be useful in OCD and anxiety. You probably need a medicine which can control all these ADHD symptoms as well.

Dr Vikas :

So the first thing you need to do is to ask your psychiatrist to evaluate you for the possibility of ADHD.

Dr Vikas :

If your psychiatrist conclude that you are indeed suffering from ADHD also then you can discuss with him or her about trying another antidepressant like Venlafaxine.

Dr Vikas :

Venlafaxine is helpful in ADHD as well as Anxiety, OCD and depressive symptoms as well.

Customer: I currently do not have a psychiatrist- how do i find the correct one? Im nervous to seek help, i am unsure were to begin
Dr Vikas :

Your GP can refer you to a psychiatrist for this purpose.

Customer: So do i just tell my doctor i want to be reffered to one?
Dr Vikas :

Yes, your doctor can help in this.

Dr Vikas :

can take help of some online website also.

Dr Vikas :

like the one given above.

Dr Vikas :

are you there?

Customer: Yes, thank you!! Do i have to be referred by my doctor or is this something i can explore on my own?
Dr Vikas :

well, you can try both the options. It is better to be referred by your doctor if it is possible to do so.

Dr Vikas :

which antidepressant are you taking currently?

Customer: I am currently on Lexapro
Dr Vikas :

OK, in that case, combination of Lexapro with Atomoxetine can be helpful for ADHD symptoms also. Atomoxetine can augment the effect of Lexapro and is also useful for ADHD symptoms.

Dr Vikas :

You can discuss with your doctor about this combination also.

Customer: How should i approch my doctor with this concern? Should i just walk in and say i think i have adhd? Or i want to be tested? I am not sure what i should say
Dr Vikas :

you can take the printed online screening quiz score to your doctor and request him or her to evaluate you for ADHD.

Dr Vikas :

:)

Dr Vikas :

This should help.

Customer: Thank you so much! You deffinetly helped me feel more comfortable with pursing this!
Dr Vikas :

you are most welcome.

Dr Vikas :

Thanks for coming to JA.

Dr Vikas :

If you are satisfied with my answer please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5 / smiley faces) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Please take a moment to rate the answer.

Kind regards

Vikas

Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics