Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

grandaughter diagnoes separation disorder she is 14,hasnt been

Customer Question

grandaughter diagnoes separation disorder she is 14,hasnt been to school since 5th grade try home schooling she thinks she would like try another school .. she is over weight. too embrassed she would proably haveto do fifth grade over , i have no ideal how to help her.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Rafael M.T.Therapist replied 1 year ago.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am very sorry to know about your grandaughter situation.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Could you please confirm for how long she has not attended regular school, and what type of doctors and treatment she has received?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Thank you for joining the chat.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Could you please reply to previous questions about your grandaughter?

Customer:

2YRS 2 PHYCHIATRYS.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You mean she has only received psychiatric drugs but no psychological treatment at all?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

The fact your grandaughter is showing her desire to go back to regular school is just a wonderful sign of her willingness and ability to work on developing real improvements.

Customer:

YES SHE HAS TREATEDMENT

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Most people suffering of this disorder do get more and more overwhelmed by the very idea of separation, thus if she is talking about going back to school it is a very positive sign without doubt.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You mean those two psychiatrist provided psychotherapy besides of medication during those two years?

Customer:

YES

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

How well did parents, family and school staff worked and showed improvements complying with her psychotherapy plan for those two years?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I see, it's not very common to find psychiatrists who happen to be psychotherapists too.

Customer:

SCHOOL WAS A JOKE SHE TRIED TO RUN AWAY THEY PUT HER IN SPECIAL CLASSES. FAMILY WORKED WELL WITH HER.

Customer:

SORRY SHE ALSO WENT TO PSYCHOTHERAPIST

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

That's truly sad and unacceptable. because of the nature of this disorder, school staff must play a key role with parents, family and psychotherapist in order to develop and implement a sound plan leading to a real rehabilitation process. it would be unrealistic to expect positive results, specially around school attendance is school staff is not committed and willing to work on supporting the child.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

A sound treatment approach must take into account individual psychotherapy session, including talk-play therapy and CBT - cognitive behavioral therapy; family therapy, group therapy where the child would learn with other similar age children to develop and practice necessary anxiety management skills' parent's coaching, and school-based counseling, since it is there where the child would spend most of her time after home, then it is there where the therapeutic interventions should be implemented with intensity.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Her psychotherapist should work with both parents coaching them on parenting skills and ways to support her on how to better cope and work on the different challenges this disorder presents.

Customer:

SHE DID HAVE THERAPY AT HOME.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Her pediatrician and a nutritionist should hep her working on developing a healthy diet and exercise plan in order to develop a healthy weight, and that with the benefits from psychotherapy, would allow her to improve her sense of self-worthiness, self-esteem and confidence, what would positively impact in her work with other children in group therapy, school counseling and when attending regular classes with classmates.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Please take into account that this anxiety disorder significantly limits the person's ability to function when away from home, and that's why psychotherapy cannot be limited to interventions at home, nor exclude school staff, and necessary therapy group. if the school staff was unwilling to provide necessary support, then better to find a good school. It is illegal for school to discriminate and neglect inclusion to children presenting any behavioral, mental or learning problem.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I think that if psychotherapeutic work gets improved at the individual and family levels, and she gets adequate support to have a good physical health allowing her to feel comfortable and more self-confident, then all the other necessary group interventions through group therapy and school counseling would be effective, allowing her to rehabilitate from this disorder, and from any other that could have developed during this time, from depression to any other form of anxiety disorder.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Most children presenting this disorder for long periods of time develop other mental health disorders, and many times they do have other problems that are not detected worsening the main condition and impacting on academic - learning and social activities too, that's why a current complete assessment is very important.

Customer:

SHE HAS THIS SINCE PRESCHOOL.HER SELF ESTEEM IS VERY LOW HOW CAN WE HELP HER.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You can help her by becoming more knowledgeable about the disorder, understanding better how she feels experiencing this much anxiety and fears, showing unconditional empathy an d gentleness, listening to her feelings...

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

supporting her not to get isolated, but being there, present and willing to enjoy with her any healthy activity together...

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Do stay calm, do not get anxious too when witnessing her fears and anxiety, in that way you would model the very skills she needs to develop...

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Keep reinforcing positive thinking and beliefs, including reassurance that she would be fine regardless of what her fears tell her, so for her to be patient, understanding and supportive with herself...

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Help her to gradually expose to higher levels of separation-anxiety, in that way she could tolerate and better cope, what would ensure the best improvements...

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Do take into account what she likes and would enjoy doing even when feeling anxious, and try to plan family activities outdoors, at school, where she could gradually experience separation from one, then both parents and close caregivers...

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Do develop better and clearer boundaries and limits, in order to support her rehabilitation without spoiling her, since spoiling would only deepen her disorder, while healthy boundaries and developing a good sense of responsibility, would promote her self-esteem and coping skills...

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

All previous suggestions should be guided, supported and monitored by a competent psychotherapist, who should also help her and you to learn relaxation skills, for her to implement on a regular basis.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

There are many other ways to work on supporting a child in her shoes, which next to her individual, family, group and school counseling, would promote her best chances for a good rehabilitation process.

Customer:

YOU HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFULL.THANK YOU

Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience: MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach