TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I have never taken any anti depressant before but Ive finally

Customer Question

I have never taken any anti depressant before but I've finally hit a wall and have decide I need to try it. I've been depressed for years and have tried everything from healthy eating, exercising, birth control, and thyroid medication but nothing is hanging. I am constantly tired I never have any energy and I have no motivation. I binge eat and getting out of be or leaving the house to take care of the smallest tasks is such a hassle. My brain in always foggy I almost feel stupid or dumb most of the time. I also have consistent headaches that get pretty bad sometimes. My dads side of the family has a history with depression. My father is taking Wellbutrin at the moment and he likes it. I'm thinking I should take the same thing for genetic reasons.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you have tried many things to alleviate your depression which is great. Medication is a good option for depression but many people do not like dealing with the side effects. However, it often helps the depression because depression can be caused by an imbalance in chemicals in the body. Medication can address that so you feel better and can function at the level you want.

Anti depressants are helpful to ease the symptoms but they do vary in their effectiveness so you may need to try a few different ones to see what works for you. Each person has their own body chemistry and what works for one may not work for another. Also, you need to factor in any pre existing medical conditions you have such as thyroid problems. So even if your father matches you in part genetically, there are other factors to consider in how you react to Wellbutrin. But it is a great place to start since your father does react well to it. It could make the medication for effective for you.

It may also help to learn more about the available anti depressants so you can ask your doctor about your options. Here is a resource to help:

You may also want to try addition self help to learn about other ways you can help yourself. Information and support are two great ways to feel better:

I hope this has helped you,

This resource may help you as well:

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!