Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I was diogonised for add 2 weeks ago and my doctor gave bupron

I was diogonised for add 2 weeks ago and my doctor gave bupron xl 150, mirtaz 7.5 and gabantin 100
I was taking these tabs for more than 2 weeks now and I don't feel a change how long it will take this medicine to take effect

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Your doctor should know that these drugs are not for ADHD (it has not been called ADD, officially, for years).

Customer:

hmm

Customer:

he said take it for 4 to 6 weeksand I will notice a change in my attention

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You have been given two antidepressants (bupropion and mirtazepine which should probably not be taken together.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The bupropion may be effective but not the mirtazepine.

Customer:

i take bupropion in morning and miratz at night

Customer:

mirtaz*

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Mirtaz is the brand name, local in India for mirtazepine.

Customer:

ya

Customer:

what you mean by may be effective? so the bupropion is not adhd medicine?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It is used as an antidepressant and also for anxiety and to stop the smoking habit.

Customer:

hmm

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I have heard of a few people using it (only read about it) but it is not the normal ADHD medication.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Anyhow, it is risky to take with Mirtaz. Read what drugs.com has to say:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Interactions between your selected drugs

bupropion ↔ mirtazapine

Applies to: XXXXX XXXXX

Talk to your doctor before using buPROPion together with mirtazapine. Combining these medications may increase the risk of seizures, which may occur rarely with either medication. You may be more likely to experience seizures with these medications if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous system such as a brain tumor or head trauma. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol during treatment. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Customer:

well i don't have seizure and i don't drink

Customer:

so i can stop mirtaz and just take bupropion alone?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The most commonly prescribed drug for ADHD (formerly called ADD) are Adderall XR, Focalin XR, Vyvanse, Quillivant XR, and Concerta.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You cannot stop psychotropic medications without risk of discontinuation side effects.

Customer:

hmm

Customer:

what are the discontinuation side effect of mirtaz?

Customer:

and i don't think any of the drugs you mentioned is available in india

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

First of all here is an article about bupropion which explains that it has been used for ADHD but is much weaker than the conventional drugs.

Customer:

hmm

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Those drugs are probably available in India under their generic names. Let me find the for you.

Customer:

ok

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Adderall is a combination of four amphetamine salts (racemic amphetamine aspartate monohydrate, racemic amphetamine sulfate, dextroamphetamine saccharide, and dextroamphetamine sulfate).

Customer:

ok

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Focalin is d-threo-methylphenidate (D-TMP), is the dextrorotatory enantiomer of methylphenidate.

Customer:

ok

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Vyvance is lisdexamfetamine

Customer:

are they available here?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Quillivant is methylphenidate

Customer:

ok

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Concerta is also methylphenidate.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Ask your pharmacist. They will know what they have and if the can get them.

Customer:

he said methylphendate is usualy given to children and have many side effects

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Withdrawal from Mirtaz includes

IrritabilityAgitationDizzinessAnxietyConfusionHeadachesInsomnia.

Customer:

hmm ok

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

All drugs have side effects. It is still recommended for Adult ADHD (Adult Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder).

Customer:

hmm

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If you quit Mirtaz, it should be reduced slowly over several weeks. Your pharmacist will know.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You might get an opinion from another doctor.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I hope that I have satisfactorily answered all of your questions.