Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I lost my husband a year ago now ~the OKMH41211

Customer Question

I lost my husband a year ago now ~the Anniversary date just passed~ it was my second marriage and we were together over 30 years~I am 68~I have a son from a previous marriage~ anyway after the death I knew that I could not stay in our Large Country Home alone~ it was off the road and on 6 acres~my son convinced me to move to his Province in Ontario and I bought a Beautiful Condo in his City~ I had to stay with him and his family for 6 weeks and that was awful~ his wife is Japanese ~ we are caucasian~ anyway she obviously made it clear that I was not wanted there~ I have not been back since I moved in early November~ this is my only child and my son is very good to me~ as I am to him~ I have money~ so this is one problem I do not have~I feel very lonely however~ not for people~ but for my husband and the life we once had~ I have tried hiring people to help or for company~one stole from me~anyway the Doctor in my own Province put me on anti- anxiety medication and a sleep one~I was exhausted and not sleeping~I have Bipolar in my back ground~ even my mother had it~ so four Psychiatrists would not give me an anti- depressant~ saying I would or might go too high~ this last one put me on co-quietiapine 25 mg and pms-clonazepam~I love the bedtime combination ~I sleep very well and have pleasant dreams~ I take 2 of the co- quietiavine25 mg each~ and 1 pms clonazepam and 1 mylan-zopiclone~ the last pill I take is at Noon~ and a B12 as well~ I can have a half of quietiavine twice if I need it~I do not usually take it~ in the morning I take one 25mg and one and one half clonazepam~I don't take one at Noon~ just the clonazepam~I tend to have many OCD symptons and I once took Marijuana and that really helped me in this area~my Doctor is completely against this~so I have not taken any since on this medication~I also have high eye pressure and take three drops a day for that~would all these things make me drowsy~ I hate to get out of bed each morning~ yet some days I am fine and can even go out~ walking is out of the question~ it is cold here and there is no place to walk to and I would not want to go alone~I developed a bit of social phobia I have noticed~talking to happy people just seems to bring me down~ hearing all about their trips and so on~ am I normal or depressed ~I always was more of a Loner~the question is I guess is why do I feel so tired~ even after a good night's sleep~as I said some days I seem okay~ plus I am better in the Evening~ maybe knowing I can soon go to bed~I have favorite TV shows to watch as well~I heard Melotonin helps sleep~ would it work for me if I was off this medication~I soon shall have to find a Doctor here~ after my eyes get balanced~ so to speak~I hate a tired draggy feeling and do you have any suggestions to why I would feel this way~I make myself get dressed each day and take good care of my Condo and cat~I was very worried about my eyes~ the pressure was 37 in each eye and then very relieved to know that thus far I am only a glaucoma suspect~ with no damage to the optic nerves~I thought knowing this would help me feel better~ of course it has a lot~I hope that you can suggest what I can do when I get this so very tired drowsy feeling~that laying down does not take a way~ I should feel refreshed I would say~of course I know that there is a long lonely day ahead~ I make myself good meals~I guess I did everything so fast~ within 6 months of the death~I did not want to stay a Winter alone far from my son~with no support in that area~ any suggestions would be appreciated~I hope the medication is right and helps OCD symptons~I see on the Internet it mentions Bipolar~ I was told that I do not have that~would energy bars help or coffee or Coke~I just want to feel well~Thanks for any help that you can give~mixing marijauana with this medication might not be a good idea???Martha~

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear XXXXX,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It seems that you are getting good sleep because of all the sleep inducing medications that you are taking at night. Quetiapine, particularly, is an antipsychotic drug, useful if you do have bipolar disorder (you have said nothing that indicates this), but is something that doctors give patients to make them sleep. I call it the sledgehammer approach to insomnia.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The zoplicone and clonazepam should be enough. These three might keep you drowsly.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

drowsy.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The cannabis will not mix badly with the other drugs and may actually relieve the pressure on your eyes, as it is known to help with glaucoma.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Your doctor's approval may depend on the legality of the drug in your province, rather than the efficacy./

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Some people are loners and find empty chit-chat to be boring or even slightly depressing. That is a matter of your preferences and not a mental health issue.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Also, taking melatonin may be an excellent supplement to try, as it regulates the circadian sleep cycle and this may be to your benefit.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I see that you are typing and I am waiting for your words.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I am sorry about your son and his apparent lack of moral strength in giving you support and standing up for his mother when there was no apparent issue of controversy between you and his wife. That is a stressor in your life and something you should deal with rather than try to ignored.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Are you still there?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You can send through part of your message and continue typing if you are there.

Customer:

I was told that it also helps anxiety and OCD and other things besides Bipolar~ I may have some symptons of Bipolar~ but I was always told I did not have it~ with my family history it would maybe be hard to miss on some signs~ my mother was Bipolar and my father OCD~ I have a Bipolar brother and a niece who is Bipolar 2~the list goes on~ a sledgehammer approach does not sound like a positive to me~ would that make me drowsy in the morning~I did hear that cannabis helped Gllaucoma and yet my Expert tells me only during certain times of the day and not as drops do~ it is legal here only for medical reasons~ but it seems more for cancer patients~I took it illegally:-)~ but I would be afraid to now that I live in another place and alone~one Doctor said since it affects the brain~ it may cause adverse effects~ as the others I take also do~alcohol is supposed to be a no no as well~ also tests can be done very easily now to detect it in your system~ a simple urine test~ if I drive it would be very embarrassing to get caught~I do not think a Doctor here would prescribe it for me~my eye pressure lowered to 16 and 17 in four days on the drops~ so to me these are the better treatment for Glaucoma~37 was a way too high and dangerous~I am not sure what a Psychiartrist would suggest~ mine sure was against it~maybe here it would be different~ then there are different types of marijauna~ some contain unsafe substances I am told and you have to know your Dealer~I have a batch of brownies a person made me~ actually a worker who did work for me here~I did not eat them thus far~ as I live alone and would be afraid to mix the medications~ plus it is illegal~ anyway my son did stand up for me~ he wants to leave his wife in fact~ but he has three boys~ so it is rather hard~he visits me often and helps out a lot~ as i do not drive yet here in a city~ as I lived in the Country in N.B.~anyway can you suggest what to do when I feel drowsy~ I am feeling not so bad right now as the day progresses~

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

When you are drowsy, don't drive or do anything that could cause harm if you fell asleep while doing it..

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Be careful of obstructions and react. If you are that drowsy, I suspect that it is the quetiapine making you feel this way. I would talk to the doctor about either reducing the dose or weaning you off of it altogether.

Customer:

I sent what I wrote along as you suggested~ are you a Psychiatrist~ as you are the first person who did not seem against marijauna~ when I get to see a new Doctor here maybe they will give me a different formula~for sleep and anxiety~would taking melatonin hurt with what I am on already and does it give a person a full night's sleep~I guess right now I would not need it along with the other~I just wondered about it~ as I always had a sleep problem all my life~can you get it over the Counter~I almost look forward to going to bed~ as I know I will escape the pain of my loss for a few hours~ what do you suggest for the drowsy feeling~ maybe I stay in bed too long~ but again it passes the time~ I hate people who LOVE to travel and continually tell me I should~ since I can afford it~ trips like they enjoy stress me~ busy airports and so on~ my husband and I were quiet people and enjoyed the simple life and just taking short trips~I miss him so much and I don't know if Grief Councelling would help me~maybe only God can heal a broken heart~

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Marijuana can be harmful to some and helpful to others. It is legal in some places so it is medically recognized as a medication.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Melatonin would not hurt you and is not contraindicated with the drugs you are taking.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I am not a psychiatrist but I served my internship under a psychiatrist, went to medical school for two years, was a chemistry major, and am trained in the use and effects of psychotropic medicine. I cannot and do not prescribe it.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I do not like travel (although I used to) and I do no like airports either. I like a quiet life.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If you are still suffering from grief or depression then some counselling sessions will help you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If your glaucoma drops are helping and have no negative side effects, then you are being helped by taking them.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Is there any other way I can help you?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I am glad to hear that your son is supporting you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I shall keep you in my prayers.

Customer:

I feel that perhaps I should NOT be taking quietiapine then~ yet I would not want to go off it without a Doctor's approval~ with my family background I always chose a Psychiatrist~ as I saw my mother and others in my family suffer great side effects of medication their general Doctor prescribed~My mother actually needed Lithium~ which is not even a drug~the drowsy feeling eventually passes and I rarely take the half pill prescribed~I am not that drowsy that I would fall asleep~ just feel tired~ is going off this medication then the only solution~my Psychiatrist seemed to think that it would make me feel even better than marijauna~do you know if it helps OCD~I took lectopam for many years for sleep~is that in the same family~it was in my husband's name back then~ but I took it more than he did~three 3 mg made me sleep well~do you know about this drug and again what can I di to get rid of a drowsy feeling~ except go off the medication~sorry for so many questions

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Other than take medications to combat the drowsiness, which I do not recommend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I recommend that you do as much exercise as possible.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

With the warmer weather approaching, I recommend brisk walks and any other kind of activity including household chores that might give you a bit of a workout.

Customer:

Thanks~I do a lot of household chores and as I said the drowsy feeling eventually normally leaves~I just hate it in the mornings~ I get the feel that you think quietiavine is what is causing it then~

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I have heard that before about quetiapine. Some of the reactions have been more severe in fact.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You cannot quit it abruptly without risking very bad side effects, so be warned.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I do not recommend caffeine and I think that using diet drinks could be positively harmful (especially aspartame).

Customer:

Thanks~I see some people are on much higher doses than me~ for serious Mental disorders~that is what scared me abut it~25 mg is low as compared to what I see for others~is a coffee okay and I did quit diet drinks~ as I heard bad reviews about them~I wish now I could get off it~ although I might experience anxiety again~

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Wean anything slowly and you can get off of it with minimum side effects.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I see that we have been chatting for about 1 1/2 hours.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If there is anything else that I can do for you, please let me know and I shall be happy to accommodate you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I am saving and exiting this chat.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Customer:

I will close then and as I stated already I shall have to see a Doctor before weaning off~Martha

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.