Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

a.

Customer Question

a

Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'd like to help you.

There is only an "a" where the question should be. Do you want to resubmit your question?

Kate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am a 48 years old woman.When I was 38 my period is stoped, I felt nausea and lost appitite, headaches and of cause loosing the weight. Now my condition became thru all this years sometimes betterand worse, But when I lost a job 2 years ago my condition became much worse. I did bunch of blood test and so everything is fine,my thierod too. Something I feel chilly, that why i am talking about thierod l, i lost some hearing and my etn doctor did MRI (head and ear) nothing was found.It a good think, but I still feel horruble. I been in mayo clinicand they said probably this is kind of migraine, but i doubte. what i have to do i am thinking about some mental issue. My famely is fine. i have nice husband and 22 years daughter. even my parent help me. could you help me?

Thanks for the information.

The symptoms you are describing certainly sound mostly medical although some of them such as the loss of appetite, headaches and losing weight could be signs of a mental health condition. Sometimes feeling so anxious that you have trouble functioning could bring on symptoms that seem medical but in reality they are caused by distress, trauma or severe anxiety.

If you were going to explore any mental health conditions the two possibilities that would fit the symptoms are anxiety and depression. Both of those diagnoses would explain some of the symptoms you are having. You can learn more about the symptoms of anxiety and depression to see if you feel you fit either diagnosis. Here are some resources to help:

http://www.helpguide.org/topics/anxiety.htm

http://psychcentral.com/disorders/depression/

The best way to know if you are suffering from a mental health condition would be to see a therapist for a full evaluation. The therapist would talk to you about your past such as your childhood, your current situation and any emotional symptoms you have that would relate to how you are feeling. These questions are in depth and are meant to help provide a diagnosis, if there is one. If the therapist did find enough to warrant treatment they would let you know what kind of treatment would be appropriate, such as talk therapy or medications.

You can find a therapist by asking your doctor for a referral. Or you can search on line at http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_search.php.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But even if the doctor decided put me on antidepressent, they all have so many side effect, such as lost memory, and so on. I would like the advise such as phisical active, yoga and eating healthy. What do you know about homeopathy?

It's not clear why the doctor put you on an anti depressant. Sometimes they are used for other purposes such as to deal with pain or in cases of severe illness because of how the person is affected. It may help to ask your doctor why you were put on the medication and if your doctor felt you might be depressed.

Being physically active including yoga and healthy eating are always good for your emotional health. They help release endorphines which boosts the "feel good" hormones in your body and therefore they directly affect your mental health.

I do not personally use homeopathy as it is more an option for the medical community and not so much a treatment in mental health since it is about alternative medicine. Therapists do not prescribe medication or any type of health advice (better left to your doctor) and usually use talk therapy as treatment.

Kate
Can I help you any further?

Kate