Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

pyschological impotence is guided imagory the only help out

pyschological impotence is guided imagory the only help out there for this?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Rafael M.T.Therapist replied 1 year ago.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Could you please confirm that what you meant was "psychological imagery"?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Erectile disorders, when of psychological nature, require psychotherapeutic support, which does not only include the use of imagination and visualization, but work on reducing anxiety level and any core issue related to self-esteem, communication and intimacy affecting sexual performance.

Customer:

yes

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Thank you for replying. I see.

Customer:

yes psychological imagery

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Use of imagination - visualization is very helpful, but they are merely tools to promote a change, while the core issues causing and fueling the erectile problem must be addressed, otherwise rehabilitation from it would be limited.

Customer:

could i talk on phone to you

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Then it is about psychotherapeutic work on personal issues leading to this disorder, plus developing effective anxiety and stress management, coping and communication skills, and more. It would imply individual therapy and couples counseling for the person to work with partner-spouse on making improvements at those levels.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am sorry but JustAnswer does not offer these services via phone but exclusively via text chat and postings.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

But there are many websites offering online professional counseling, which are confidential services, via phone and video-conference too.

Customer:

what can i do on my owen ? what i have tried should it help ? is it all mental

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You would need to work on resolving personal issues leading to feeling anxious during sexual relationships' work on better coping with life stressors for you to feel more at easy, and learn relaxation techniques. If you have no medical problem creating this disorder, then you need to work on the mental and emotional factors-problems causing this disorder, being aware that the most common issue related to impotence is anxiety - stress.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You would need to work on yourself and with your partner to create the best results, and that's why getting professional psychotherapeutic or counseling support becomes so important, even more if you have been undergoing this problem for more than a few weeks. Delaying necessary treatment could just worsen the problem and make rehabilitation more challenging too.

Customer:

i a, on bupropn hcl 150mg

Customer:

its been getting worse but going on for years to some degree

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Do you suffer of depression?

Buproprion

Customer:

yes

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I believe Buproprion is the name of the medication you meant, right?

Customer:

yes like wellbutron

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I see, then depression could easily deeply undermine sexual performance, and medication only could not be enough. it is psychological treatment what allows people to rehabilitate from depression, no psychiatric drug could do that, an did you have been undergoing this sexual disorder for years,then it seems obvious to me that you need to get psychotherapy to rehabilitate from depression first, then to rehabilitate from this sexual disorder.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Please discuss with your psychiatrist about the possibility of reducing doses or changing medication. Unhappily most if not all antidepressant have sexual side effects.

Customer:

what are some web sites that might help? so theres not really any meds. that could help at this time?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

The medication you have been using does have a known low rate of sexual side effect. This is why I strongly suggest you to seriously consider psychotherapy in order to work on your rehabilitation process from both disorders.

Customer:

so one on one with a therapist is the best help

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You would need to discuss with your psychiatrist about these concerns, since he-she knows your case, history and how you have reacted to different medications. Each person could react in very unique ways to the same drugs, that's why a competent psychiatrist needs to monitor you and make necessary adjustments in order to provide the best possible support. But if we talk about depression and erectile disorder caused not by medical conditions but psychogenic (of psychological - emotional nature), then it is through professional psychotherapy that people could work on their rehabilitation process, in order to improve their mood, functioning, relationships and sex life too.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Absolutely.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

For depression -which uses to lead to sexual disorders- group therapy is also recommended, complementing the benefits of individual psychotherapy.

Customer:

thats about all i can do for it for now?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Please look for individual psychotherapy and ideally for group therapy too for depression. If you cannot find a local therapy group for depression, then consider joining a support group for depression, which would significantly reinforce the benefits from individual therapy.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

These are the most important steps - sources of support anybody in your shoes could get, which would ensure the best chances for rehabilitation from both, depression and thee sexual disorder.

Customer:

ok thanks

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

If you make sure your physical health is fine, your diet is a healthy one, exercise and take good care of your social life, then that's the best you could do. Reduce as much as you can sources of stress, and improve coping with it, and then that would be the best approach.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're very welcome.

Customer:

i have been walking 5 plus miles a day and weight trainning for 4 months , i lost over 50 lbs. since i was hopping that might help but its slow and it comes and goes

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Then you have been doing a great job in that area, please keep it that way, also take good care of your diet and social life as previously explained, that way you would be doing the best anybody in your shoes could do; but remember that psychotherapy should be the first source of support you need to consider to work on rehabilitating from this disorder, since it direct addressed the core problems causing and fueling it.

Customer:

ok thanks agin

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're welcome. Take gentle care.

Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience: MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach