Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

A week ago today I had an OCD episode which involved hyperfocusing

Customer Question

A week ago today I had an OCD episode which involved hyperfocusing on my feet in the shower. A week has passed and my worry over this situation is not yet totally gone. What I would like specific help with is some kind of phrase or scientific explanation that you do not have to keep leaning over to check your feet every time you feel it necessary? I know this causes no damage to the heart or spine or any other organ but I also want to know that no matter how many time you do this or do not do it will I be back to the way I normally paid attention to my feet before this started. Again if I can get rid of the thought with something positive to say I will not have to keep repeating the action as well. Thank you
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear brother,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You keep asking the same question because you have OCD and must seek treatment.

Customer:

I am sorry

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Please get help.

Customer:

I am going to buy the book I promise

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It is not so hard to fix.

Customer:

Its been a hectic week and I thought I had this beaten up until this morning

Customer:

I feel like crying

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Think about finding a therapist.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I will keep you in my prayers brother.

Customer:

I am starting with one this week CBT

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

That is wonderful news.

Customer:

Where I am stuck is just taking my vision off my feet when I look down at them

Customer:

I think I am analyzing motion and how can I stop that

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Stop looking. Do something else. Sit down where you can't see you legs.

Customer:

I am at computer now and not looking at them

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Or try staring at them and say "They are fine nothing to worry about."

Customer:

okay I will do that also

Customer:

also our body structure is not meant to be looking downward anyway?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Your feet can never never never NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER hurt you

Customer:

I mean our heads are placed on our necks to look ahead and not down

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

We have to see what is in front of us so we don't stumble. Our head is made to look left right up down as far as we can stretch.

Customer:

this is my problem when I look away from after leaning over to look at my feet I think something in the way I looked at them was wrong or harmful that is the key to this problem

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Try some exercises pushing your chin down as low as you can to touch your chest, and then make very slow circles around and around.

Customer:

okay

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

That is an obsessive thought not based on truth.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You will get the book and start counseling next week.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Stop worrying right now and get yourself a nice cold glass of water.

Customer:

so my problem is with that thought that is false and when I look away from feet I should know that is a normal movement and nothing will happen?

Customer:

so each time I would look down at feet just look up naturally and tell myself no harm is done?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Exactly. You will be fine.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

No harm can possible be done. You are just looking at your feet. We all do it.

Customer:

and the looking up and away motion is normal as well?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I just glanced down at mine. I am so glad to have two of them. I'd be lost without them.

Customer:

so I need to stop analyzing and thinking false thoughts when I look back up?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

All is well down there. You need the therapy to help you. You know what to do but you need to practice with a therapist or work on the book OR BOTH.

Customer:

I will I promise and thank you for not giving up on me

Customer:

so from hence forth on when I look down at my feet I am not going to worry about looking back up and away because they will always be there and no harm is done in that motion it is the same as it always was

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Absolutely. It proves that your neck is working exactly the way it is supposed to work.

Customer:

thank you the neck statement will reaffirm my positive thoughts

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Don't give up on yourself either. Get that treatment and get over this.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You are still in my prayers.

Customer:

I promise I will thank you again

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You are so welcome.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

:)

Customer:

Good night my friend

Customer:

Happy Easter as well

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Good night brother.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You too ! ! !

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.