Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I was on an auto accident five years ago where a girl was text

I was on an auto accident five years ago where a girl was text messaging, went through a red light and broadsided my car . My head hit the door window and I ended up with a closed head injury TBI andemory loss in the temporal lobe . I was a teacher and had to take 2 years off because of all the brain retraining at a rehab hospital . Since then I have become severely depressed and anxious and suicidal. I feel sick all the time. I am also severely allergic to corn and go into analphylaxis. I officially retire tomorrow after 30 years of teaching. It was a forced retirement because I was sick for one thing or another for over 80 days. My question is do o just want to stay sick because that is where I am comfortable ? Thank you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I am so sorry for your terrible misfortune but am glad to hear that you survived and was able to undergo brain retraining.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You are somewhat damaged, but still articulate and have a great deal of capabilities.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

When I read you letter I thought of a younger man in our county, also a teacher, and also with a brain problem. Alas, his is cancer and he is under Hospice care at home.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I know that if he had a choice he would choose to stop being sick, as you can.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that is exactly what you want to do. You are a young man, upper middle age, and still have many productive and enjoyable years ahead.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You have abilities and faculties that you can utilize. You are still healing and undergoing therapy.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If your therapy and medications are not effective then you need to discuss with your healers how to proceed.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I know how difficult it is to proceed with your life when you feel depressed. You are in a hole and it seems too overwhelming to try to pull yourself out.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

This is, however, exactly what you must do.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Besides the help that you are getting, you need to leave your comfort zone.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Do more exercise. Go someplace. Take a course or training, if you are able, in something that you always wanted to do.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Fulfill you dreams.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I just received a message that you cannot see my reply. I am switching over to the Q & A mode.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It is possible that you are using Windows 8. Please let me know.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You reply to me as an email and I will answer as soon as I can. The JA system obliges me (I have no choice as it is computer enforced) to take the answers in the order they are received. Right now I am pretty much open).

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Reply when you can and I shall do my best to help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Remember to tell me if you are using Windows 8.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't really matter but I am a female. Question you may have already answered but I just want to take extra meds to make life go away. I have been in a psychiatric hospital and seems to help but I fall right back to wanting to either be sick or making it go away. What can I do to stop this I don't know if I have the will. Sorry I do t know of I have windows 9 or not. Thank you so much.
Dear XXXXX,

I understand how difficult and unjust this is for you, and how hard it is to maintain the will to go on. Surely you have people who love you and support you, and have doctors who will be trying their utmost with new procedures or new medications to help.

There are the drugs of the MAOI class on your list. (Monoamine Oxide Inhibitors). Such drugs would include tranylcypromine and phenelzine sulfate, and they are often prescribed as a last resort because they can have dangerous side effects and cannot be mixed with certain foods (aged cheeses, pickles, wine) and some other medications, such as some decongestants.

A newer, very promising MAOI is worn as a skin patch and has fewer side effects; it is called selegiline HCl.

Another very new drug, given by the brand name isXXXXX has promising results and you may want to inform you physician if s(he) doesn't know about it. Here is a link:

http://www.frx.com/pi/Viibryd_pi.pdf

Another new antidepressant is agomelatine, which has no apparent side effects and has had some very positive anecdotal feedback.

Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) may be offered to you. It passes electrical currents (small) through the brain, affecting neurotransmitter levels. It usually offers immediate relief of severe depression and is used on individuals who don't respond to medications, and also to those who cannot take the strong effects of the medications, such as pregnant women and the elderly, and perhaps YOU. It can, however, cause short term memory loss.

Another option is the implantation of a micro-pulse generator that stimulates the vagus nerve to affect the brain's mood centers. This is yet another way of treating chronic depression that is resistant to treatment. This does not put you at the same risk as ECT, and is a viable alternative.

Finally, there is Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation, using electromagnets held against your upper forehead to produce an electric current in your brain for the purpose of affecting those same mood centers. This also does not shock your brain.

You have an array of options to consider and balance the costs in your money, time, and other considerations, against the history of failed drug treatment.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have been of assistance to you. If this is enough information to get you motivated and give you some hopeful options, then I wish you the very best.

I shall keep you in my prayers.

Warm regards,

Elliott

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Expert:  kerri replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Your situation is one that can very easily lead to feeling the way you have described, for anyone, not just you. And there are many who are left with damages that render them unable to seek help the way you have as they have lost their ability to write or comprehend. I mention this because sometimes we need to think how lucky we are rather than how unlucky. Your outcome is one over which you actually have control. Therefore, you are able to make decisions that potentially impact on the remainder of your life, in a most positive way. You may no longer work in the same capacity, but who was to say that's what you would have done for the rest of your life or in retirement anyway? Try to utilize the time you have now to "find" what it is you can do, rather than dwell on things that you cannot. Your greatest sense of satisfaction is likely to come from fiding direction, all by yourself, completely independently of others, because you have had to rely on rehab and support for long enough. You are over the critical stage, you are able to maintain yourself and wellbeing with the guidance of your doctor, so there is no reason you can't explore all those things out there that await you. This might be in the form of new experiences, travel to more stimulating environments, taking on ventures that you previously did not have time for, etc. No one can invent what it is you need, you have to seek out what it is that gains you the most fulfulment in life. It might mean trying a few different things first, before embarking on something bigger. It is the process of moving forward, for which you are responsible, that will undoubtedly provide you with what you ultimately need. Your life is not over, so don't treat it as if it is. You have been given a second chance, so make the most of it and enjoy all your efforts in getting to where it is you want or need to be. Wishing you the best and may the hibernating sense of motivation that lies within, shine, in order to move you beyond the place in which you are currently stuck.