TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

my nephew ( 43) is thinking that people are threatening him- and

my nephew ( 43) is thinking that people are threatening him-
and can't cope with things at the moment.
he has moved back to his parents home- but they feel
he needs help.
what is the best way to tackle this .
wendy
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

If your nephew is willing to see a therapist, that would be the first step to take. He needs a full evaluation to find out why he is feeling as he does and what type of treatment (medications and/or therapy) might be best for his situation to help him to feel better. He can find a therapist by asking his doctor for a referral or he can search on line at http://www.bacp.co.uk/.

If he is not willing to see a therapist, try to see if your nephew is willing to see his own doctor. Sometimes a person will talk to their doctor when they refuse to talk to a therapist or psychiatrist. If he is willing to see his doctor, have his parents call ahead before his appointment to let the doctor know what is going on. He or she may not be able to share anything with them, but they can certainly tell the doctor what they are witnessing with your nephew and the doctor can address it with him.

You can also enlist the help of friends or other family members. Sometimes a person will listen to someone from outside of their immediate family because they are not so easy to dismiss.

Here are some other resources to help you with ideas on how to help your nephew if he is resistant to getting help:

http://www.heretohelp.bc.ca/publications/factsheets/families-friends-help

I Am Not Sick I Don't Need Help: How to Help Someone with Mental Illness Accept Treatment-Xavier Amador.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!