TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

If Kate MCCoy is available Id like to talk to her. Hello Kate,

If Kate MCCoy is available I'd like to talk to her. Hello Kate, This is coming off of the same question I had recently sent. I am home today alone doing work and the thoughts are very strong and very scary. I have been doing some of the tactics you explained in the answer. The symptoms are the same as always and nothing new so on some level I think I am fine but the physical symptoms of anxiety and the thoughts make me feel like I'm having an actual heart attack and all I want to do is call 9-11 or go to Urgent Care. Then I think I'm going to induce stand I get worse. I feel very stuck.
Hello and thank you for requesting my help.

It sounds like you are having an anxiety attack. Anxiety can make you feel like you are having a heart attack because one of the symptoms is chest pain. If it does make you feel better, it is ok to be checked out by a doctor. But a majority of the time, most people find that they are experiencing anxiety rather than a medical issue.

There are many things you can do to deal with anxiety. Relaxing yourself is a good first step. Try deep breathing and releasing your muscle tension. Here is a resource to help you:

Distracting yourself also works. If you at home all day, then you have nothing to distract you from thinking anxious thoughts. Try going out, calling someone or doing something that will take your attention and focus.

Reach out to others and talk about how you feel. On line support forums and groups are a great way to find others who experience anxiety like you do and to get the support you need to help you feel better. Learning more about anxiety can help you a lot as well. The more you know, the more tools you have to help yourself. Here are some resources to help:

On line links:

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne

When Panic Attacks: The New, Drug-Free Anxiety Therapy That Can Change Your Life by David D. Burns

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by William J. Knaus EdD and Jon Carlson PsyD EdD

Coping with Anxiety: 10 Simple Ways to Relieve Anxiety, Fear & Worry by Edmund J. Bourne and Lorna Garano

Support groups:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I have been checked out by a doctor a bunch of times when having these. My psychologist and I are trying very hard to not go to the doctor. Next week I have my yearly well check. I will talk further to my doctor about my issues. I will try your online chat forums that you are suggesting. I would love to talk to other patients about this. I feel helpless today. I am going to try to get some work done which usually distracts me..In ways of letting the anxious thoughts flow through and not suppressing what is your suggestion. if I can start to do that more this may start to dissipate..

Each time you have a thought, try telling yourself that it is just that, a thought. It may also help to write down thoughts that you can read to help yourself feel better. Things like "I have been through this before and I am going to be fine" and "I am stronger than the anxiety". If you can have a list of positive thoughts, then it is easier to get rid of the anxious thoughts.

This may help as well:

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I hope you are well. I believe i have put in the ratings you needed to get credit. I wanted to touch base with you as I have been in good shape for a while but it seems the obsessions have come back in the past few weeks when I was under extreme job pressure. I am waking up and dealing with constant thoughts over my cardiac health , paying attention to every sensation and having a fear of dying. Is this normal that this would come back during high work stress time? It's all I think about unless I'm really really engaged in something else. Last night, however, I did go to a wedding and danced for hours. I was a bit winded afterward and got a little nervous but that did die down. Of course this morning when I woke up I was still a little bit scared. Thanks for your help!

I'm happy to answer any follow up questions you may have that pertain to your original question. This appears to be a new question. Just Answer prefers that you open a new question page for new questions. This ensures that you'll have an accurate customer ratio on the site, and it helps us to give the best possible answers to your questions.