TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Is it possible in any shape, way, or form for a person to develop

Is it possible in any shape, way, or form for a person to develop Dependent Personality Disorder as a coping mechanism? (For example, perhaps he/she may have had very strict parents growing up and he/she searched for coping mechanisms whenever he/she couldn't get what he/she wanted and things of that nature) Thank you for your assistance.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

Yes, what you are asking is very possible. It is actually how personality disorders start. Personality disorders are typically ingrained behaviors that someone develops, usually in response to being raised in a dysfunctional home. The person could not get their needs met (for unconditional love and attention) so they developed other ways to get what they needed which usually involved dysfunctional behaviors. When they grew up, they continued these behaviors even when they were no longer needed. So someone who has a Dependent Personality disorder developed it in order to best cope with the abuse or trauma they suffered as a child. It became the best way to try to get their needs met. It may not have worked, but given the person's personality mixed with whatever the type of threat they had to deal with, that was how they learned to handle it. Here is a resource to help:

I hope this has helped you,
Thank you so much! If I can help in any way again, please let me know.

Take care,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Your welcome. Thank you.

Anytime! Take care