TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Thank you for responding to my question. It was helpful. In

Thank you for responding to my question. It was helpful. In my reply, I told you about my year of failures. I'm trying not to spiral into a deep depressive episode, but it's very hard not to interpret the events of last year as: I = failure. What do you think of my experiences (being asked to leave my MSW program & being fired from dogwalking job) & how can I keep from spiraling into a deep depression?
It depends on what you have tried so far. Also, what do you feel caused you to have to leave the MSW program? Was there an incident or an overall issue?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The dogwalking job was my attempt to get some mental/emotional traction after leaving the MSW program. Being fired from it threw fuel on the already burning "you're such a failure" fire.

My MSW internship supervisor told me when she failed my for my internship that I should not pursue the profession. The school believed that she didn't give enough warning b4 failing me to give me the opportunity to improve, so they countermanded the failing grade. But they agreed w/ her that I should leave the profession & advised I leave the program. After that I felt so confused & disappointed that I decided to leave the program. I felt overwhelmed.
Did she say why you should not be in the profession?

I went back and took a look at your other question. You did address why the program didn't work out. Sorry about that. I just wanted to be sure I had all the details before I answered.

It sounds like your symptoms are not under control. If you are experiencing issues when you are trying to do things like complete a college program or work a part time job, then whatever therapy you are in is not addressing your symptoms. You mentioned that you are taking medication. If it does not work to keep your depression away, then it may not be the right medicine. You may need a higher dose, a different medication or a combination of medications.

Therapy should also be helping you. You mentioned being in therapy for 10 years. If you have been with the same therapist, you may need to change. Or if you have tried other therapists, it may be that you need group or other types of intervention. Sometimes a new evaluation with someone else might provide answers that you were not aware of and a new perspective on what might causing this level of depression.

You can also use self help to deal with what you feel. Support and self help are vital in helping you overcome depression. Consider support groups, either on line or in person as I mentioned before. People who are experiencing the same symptoms as you are can offer invaluable support, ideas and companionship to help you feel better. Also, working on your depression at home can supplement your therapy or other treatment. Here are resources to help you get started:

Once you are able to reach out, you will start to feel better. Let others support you and offer help. You do not have to do this alone.

Thank you very much for the positive rating and bonus! It was very kind of you.

Take care,