Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Is it possible for my paroxetine 20 mg stop working after 12

Is it possible for my paroxetine 20 mg stop working after 12 yrs? It feels that way for the past week......Do I need to increase my dosage?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It is possible for any medication to stop working, especially after 12 years. The reason why is because your body adapts to the medication and the medications are no longer as effective as they once were.

When your medication stops working, it is best to see your doctor for an evaluation. You need to know if the medication is worth continuing or if you need another type of medication. You can sometimes continue with another medication of the same type, particularly if this medication was one that gave you positive results. Or you can try another class of medications all together.

However, you can contact your doctor to see if an increase might be worth a try. If you are managing your symptoms well right now, then you may be able to try increasing the dosage first to see if it helps. But if your symptoms are getting worse or you feel they are interfering in your ability to manage day to day, then you may need to see your doctor face to face for an evaluation.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Can I help you any further?

Kate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello did you get my reply question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok Thanks...I did see my doctor...I thought maybe it was possible that I received a bad batch from my pharmacy because my symptoms started right after I received my refill about 10 days ago. He told me to try a different manufacturer batch first before increasing my dosage. Have you ever heard that this can happen? Also, I take lorazepam (0.5) twice a day now to relieve my anxiety....how long can I safely take this before becoming in danger of getting addicted to it?

No I didn't- sorry. I took a look at my email and it was there but not on the Just Answer post.

It could be possible that you did get a bad batch of medications. It might be worth trying another one before upping your dosage.

How long you can take lorazepam depends very much on how you metabolize the medication. Addiction does not take place until you start taking the drug outside of the prescribed parameters. If you start to feel the need to take the medication outside of the regular dosage, then you need to stop. Tapering off the medication needs to be done slowly because your body does become used to the medication once you have taken it for a while.

Kate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK thanks...but when you say a while, how long is that? What I mean is ....Is it OK for me to take the lorazepam(0.5 mg twice a day) for a couple of weeks or so while I try to adjust to the new batch or the new dosage?

However long it takes for the medications to be at medically appropriate levels in your body. It varies from medication to medication and it depends on your metabolism. Usually from 4 to 8 weeks.

If your doctor ok's you taking the lorazepam then it is fine, if you mean can you combine it with your other medication.

Kate