Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach

Hello, I work in the Behavioral Health Field, specifically

Hello, I work in the Behavioral Health Field, specifically Prevention Programs, and so I am trained in Mental Health First Aid. I have been experiencing for the better part of 2 years now, these uncontrollable conflict scenarios. First they started because I worked in a adolescent treatment center with co-morbid clients and I had no mental health training, it was extremely stressful. And it was encouraged to think one step ahead of the clients who would try anything to get one up on us. Now in every situation that warrents a decision to be made, I play out multiple scenarios in my head and sometimes verbalize them, to others dissatisfaction. Takes me longer to make simple decisions. It is getting hard for my wife to be cope with me. This morning I backed into her car becasue my mind was preoccupied with designing this conflict between us over paying a bill. My work is being influenced by it too.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Rafael M.T.Therapist replied 1 year ago.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am sorry to know you have been experiencing these problems for the past two years.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

It seems overwhelming to find yourself fearing potential conflicts and negative outcomes to the point of feeling this conflicted,

Customer:

They started out involving those I didnt have bonded relationships with and have now moved into affecting my family.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

What in the beginning seemed to be a cautious and preventive approach, seems to have undermined the way you cope and address many situations, professionally and personally.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Did you suffer of anxiety before this problem started two years ago?

Customer:

I would agree with that

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

What you describe seems to show you have developed an anxiety disorder, where you get obsessed with fears about potentially negative scenarios, what undermines your ability to function, and it has affected your mood an, performance and relationships too.

Customer:

I experienced anxiety about social situations where I depended on my sobriety to be the thing that made an impact on others and not my former party alter ego. I am an addict with 7 years sobriety.

Customer:

Yes all those things eem to be affected greatly.

Customer:

i have even tried different homeopathic and ethnobotanical remedies. Exotic tea blends, tinctures, and supplements claiming to relieve anxiety and stress and tension, but nothing seems to help.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I see, it's truly good that you have been able to rehabilitated and kept taking good care of yourself away from substance addictions for all this long. But now it seems that you need to work on rehabilitating from this anxiety disorder, which seems overwhelming, one that could have been reinforced with time as your story shows. Many times people who suffered of addictions do have a tough time coping with stress and anxiety, depression and other conditions, that's why it is essential to work on those areas too, not only to keep a good rehabilitation process, but to develop a healthy, stable, functional and enjoyable life.

Customer:

It just created more anxiety and scenarios of me getting fired for ingesting some unknown plant alkaloid that would make me fail a drug test.lol

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

All those could be helpful but what about psychotherapy? The ideal therapeutic support for psycho-emotional problems is psychotherapy, once it addresses the core nature and tenor of these disorders. Diet, exercise and other behaviors could help, but as long as the psychological factors causing and fueling these problems do not get addressed, the symptoms would not go away.

Customer:

I agree with your statements. I work with psychologist, psychiatrists, LADC, LPC's and its a little too close to home if you know what I mean... and this is the only service in the area, and I have a 14 month old duaghter and a wife working two jobs to make ends meet,a nd I have to be the strong one, because my wife sufers from body dysmorphia, depression. And it takes literally, 3-6 months from the time DSM4 to actually getting treatment at our clinic.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Once you are rehabilitating from drugs, I do not suggest you to continue trying further herbs of that nature, that would be a very risky and unhealthy approach. teas and a good diet, as well as more holistic therapies could be very helpful, but as long as provided by a serious professional, but again, psychological treatment cannot be replaced by any physical or medical intervention.

Customer:

That is good advice Rafael

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Please do look for adequate psychotherapeutic support and commit to work on yourself, improving anxiety and stress management, social and coping skills as well as to process feelings from any issue from the past still affecting and limiting your ability and need to enjoy life, share and experience your day in healthy, meaningful and fulfilling ways.

Customer:

At the time of my CADC was providing me with treatment, It was pretty much a freudian script being fed to me, and spent most of the time talking through her own instabilities, instead of listenign to me,a nd there was next to no mental health treatment involved. It was pee in a cup dont do drugs, now come have a smoke with me.. oh and by the way ..pay me $75 for the hour i spent talking to you, not listening. so adequate support will be something i will pursue.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You get traumatized by the overwhelming demands of your work because of lack of training and experience, and that seems to have created this deeper anxiety problem, but with adequate therapy you would be able to rehabilitate from it, and not only be fine at that level but at all those other important life areas, for you to build and promote the harmony and fulfilling you need and deserve.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

That sounds awful. Unhappily there are many bad professionals, with no competence, good ethics and with very limited psychological approaches and poor skills to implement them. Neopsychoanalisys could be helpful in comparison to old psychoanalysis, but for sure, most people facing serious life problems cannot and should not afford such approaches like you did , even less taking into account they are supposed to continue for years. most people feel very frustrated, alienated and neglected, and for good reasons.

Customer:

This is the first time I have spoken to anyone professional about this. Thanks for listening. After being certifies as a Mental Health First Aid responder I did recognize symptoms of an anxiety disorder with aspects of compulsive nature.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I totally support you and your plan for getting competent and ethical psychotherapeutic support, one that addresses your specific needs and expectations.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're very welcome. We all need psychotherapeutic support, just need to get sound professionals, without accepting anything but real, ethical empathetic, and competent support, otherwise it would be useless and a waste of time, money and energy you need to truly work on yourself and take better care of yours life.

Customer:

ok

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Thank you for your trust. Please take gentle care and consistent action getting the support you need.

Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience: MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach