Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Whenever I watch Sportscenter on ESPN and see a baseball manager

Customer Question

Whenever I watch Sportscenter on ESPN and see a baseball manager argue with an umpire or whenever I see a basketball coach get livid and go ballistic and become volatile, I crack up because I find things like that hilarious. Why is this so? Does Psychology/Psychiatry have an answer to explain this phenomenom? Thank you for your assistance.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

When a person laughs after witnessing extreme emotions or even after they feel them themselves, it is often a way to cover other feelings that come up. For example, when you see some fighting, even on TV, it can seem funny because you learned to somehow cover up what you really feel when you witness extreme anger.

These types of responses, laughing at anger or laughing in situations like a funeral, are usually learned responses from childhood. It could be that when someone got angry at you or you witnessed someone fighting when you were a child, you became frightened. You may not have known how to handle your fear or you felt so uncomfortable about it that you developed a way to cope with it and that became laughter.

This is not a disorder but a coping mechanism. Just as someone might become silent when confronted with an angry person or leave when faced with conflict, you laugh when you see someone arguing. There is nothing wrong with what you are doing unless you feel bothered enough by it that it interrupts your daily life. A therapist could help you get to the root of why you respond this way and help you learn new ways to handle your feelings when you witness angry confrontations. But if you feel ok about it, then there is no need to address it.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Thank you so much for the positive rating and generous bonus! That was very kind of you :)

Take care,

Kate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. You were very helpful. What you explained is interesting.

You're welcome! I'm glad it helped.

Kate