Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I have had mental problems since elementary school, however,

Customer Question

I have had mental problems since elementary school, however, my parents would not seek psychiatric care due to their disbelief. I made fairly good grades in high school and charmed professors with my intellect and demeanor. I became seriously depressed at the end of my last semester of college. I began therapy and psych meds at that time. They did not work very well. Throughout my working carrer my concentration irresponsibility became out of wack. I currently have a diagnosis of Bipolar II. I take cymbals, depakote, and hydro ozone. Elavil for chronic headache. Lunesta 1 mg PRN for sleep. Throughout my treatment and hospitalizatios, several doctors and therapist suspected ADD, however my mental health treatment on a sliding scale institution refuse to address this. Even though I have never been evaluated. Hospitals doctors and ARNPs put me on every antipsychotic in the book a-z and even on low levels they caused severe akathesia. I refuse to take them. Even though I no longer take them the residuals are there without treatment. My muscle movements and uncontrollable movements did not go away with the common prescription of cogent in, propane all, anthystamines and trycyclics. They left the problem to my physical DR. We started Valium, added Requip, and Mysoline. The symptoms were gone. I have been on the same dosage of these meds for years. I cannot get a mental health orofessional to adequately treat add. Strattera was tried once, it was very harsh on my depression. I have heard that some people can take a stimulant along with a benzoziapane-Valium for akatheshia. My manic episodes never occur anymore, however, I feel lack of concentration makes me severely depressed. I have been on disability for 7 years, I am wanting to return to work but fear my concentration priblems would result in the same fashion. I had a very secure carrer however my lack of concentration damaged my high effectiveness and work performance. I am passionate about this line if work. What I am asking, is how I can find a adult add psych eval and if stimulant use can be safely used with a benzoziapane, moodstabulzers, anti depressants and meds to control permanent akatheshia
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 4 years ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You have certainly been treated like a laboratory animal with all of the meds you have been given, which have resulted in you acquiring akathisia.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Most ADHD medication will actually promote akathisia, and perhaps some of your akathisia symptoms seem like ADHD to you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Akathisia can be reduced by reducing the other drugs that are causative.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The first-line treatment of akathisia is a beta blocker called propranolol. It is a blood pressure medicine that is also effective for performance anxiety and for akathisia and has very few side effects. This should be the treatment of choice but you never mentioned it.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

And why, when I have given you such valuable information have you given me a bad rating?

JACUSTOMER-eywdwgbi- : Wanted a MD advice on seeking the risks of stimulants and Valium. My whole question was ignored. I am on a great akathesia regimen. My question was not answered.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You did not request MD advice. You also need some work on anger management.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

And it was MDs who have put you into the shape you are currently in.