Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I have a binge eating problem which I have had for a long time

I have a binge eating problem which I have had for a long time and I don't seem to be able to stop it. I was wondering if anybody had some advice on how to take control of it

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Do you purge yourself (vomit) after binging or not?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Are there any triggers that set you off? Any particular times of the day?

Customer:

I have done in the past but more often I will try and counter act it by going for a long jog or by going to the gyme.

Customer:

weekends are when I am at my worst I will still binge eat during the week but the simptoms seem to be at there worst when I am alone and on the weekends when I have plenty of spare time

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

So this may be a self-therapy for loneliness or depression.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

This is common. You fight boredom and loneliness by binge eating then?

Customer:

possibly,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Do you want to try talk therapy or medication or a combination? These are the usually methods when will-power is not enough.

Customer:

i would rather try therapy first and medication as a last resort

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Wise decision.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

There are several basic therapy approaches to binge eating.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Interpersonal psychotherapy.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dialectical behavior therapy.

Customer:

i am not exactly sure what means

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

There are therapists who specialize in eating disorders, which are considered to be impulse control disorders, but I believe that depression plays a big factor.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

CBT can help you cope better with issues that can trigger binging episodes, such as negative feelings about your body or depression. It can help you learn to control your behaviour and eating habits.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Interpersonal psychotherapy deals with your current relationships with others, in order to improve your interpersonal skills and relationship with others, including family, friends and colleagues. This can reduce binge eating that is triggered by negative relationships and dysfuncional communication skills.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

DBT can help you learn behavioural skills to help you tolerate stress, regulate emotions and improve your relationships.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

These therapies, sometimes combined, can be very effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If not, psychiatrists use antidepressants and a drug called topiramate, which may work but has many side effects, for some people.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

These are your options. Now you must find someone in whom you have confidence and whom you will follow as a guide.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I know this sounds complicated. Perhaps you can take another shot at using your will-power to prevent any more incidents, but if you cannot, at first, psychotherapy can teach you step by step, how to change.

Customer:

do therapists psychiatrists and counsellors specialise in one of these methods or do they generally practice all of them. And what exactly are the side effects of topiramate

Customer:

I have been trying will power for a long time i think it is time to explore some other avenues

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Mental health therapists are like cooks Some are better than other whatever cooking school they came from. Some do specialise in eating disorders and those are the ones that I would look at first.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Topiramate is an anticonvulsant used in the treatment of seizures, particularly epilepsy, but can control binge eating for some.

Customer:

what should i look for when choosing a therapist

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

First a note about side effects from Wikipedia:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Side-effects reported by > 10% of subjects in at least one clinical study[30] (listed by prevalence):

paresthesia (numbness & tingling) (23.7%)upper respiratory tract infection (17.5%)diarrhea (16.8%)nausea (15.4%)anorexia (loss of appetite) (13.3%)memory problems (11.2%)

Side-effects most frequently leading to discontinuation of therapy with topiramate:

psychomotor slowing (4.1%)memory problems (3.3%)fatigue (3.3%)confusion (3.2%)somnolence (3.2%)

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

When looking for a therapist look for experience, the scope of their practice (does it include a significant proportion of those with impulse control disorders) and above all use your instincts to determine whether or not you can have a good working relationship with this person.

Customer:

thanks for your help it was much appreciated