Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

RA-130

Customer Question

i was a good student (bookworm) from my school's time.Once a day i was studying sm thing then i got distracted and develop sm fear in my mind that i will lost my parents...or smtng like tht which i dont want (nt exactly remberer).So frm that day whenever i studied i found the same problem. this problem made me very depressed..but anyhow i cleared my exam .After all this year after year my problem never stopped but it changed its way.whenvr i took a book for study. i got distracted but this time i forgot the fear of my parents...but my mind looses my concentration .At that time the only way for study in a better way i found was to study with my friend.But in alone i faced the same problem.i only study with Computer.It was so bad that that till now i was not able to read a english newspaper continuously. At present time whenevr i studied my left brain wander. My eyes see something and distract me do something. even now it is not limited with my study but also with my daily routine

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

There are two possibilities here:

It sounds like you may have developed anxiety. If you are unable to concentrate because your mind wonders and you think thoughts that makes you feel anxious, that sounds like an anxiety disorder.

The other possible reason you are experiencing this issue is Adult ADHD. That would also cause difficult concentrating.

The best way to tell exactly what you may have is to see a therapist. The therapist will do a full evaluation to determine what symptoms you have and match them to a diagnosis. The therapist can also let you know what the best treatment is for your diagnosis.

If you are developing anxiety, it can be very easy to cure. Therapy is the best way to address anxiety. But you can also use self help including support groups and learning more about anxiety. By doing this, it will give you the tools to deal with what you feel when you do become anxious. Here are some resources to help you:

On line links:

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_types_symptoms_treatment.htm

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_self_help.htm

http://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/guide/mental-health-anxiety-disorders

Books:

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne

When Panic Attacks: The New, Drug-Free Anxiety Therapy That Can Change Your Life by David D. Burns

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by William J. Knaus EdD and Jon Carlson PsyD EdD

Coping with Anxiety: 10 Simple Ways to Relieve Anxiety, Fear & Worry by Edmund J. Bourne and Lorna Garano

Support groups:

http://psychcentral.com/resources/Anxiety_and_Panic/Support_Groups/

http://www.dailystrength.org/c/Anxiety/support-group

If you do have ADHD, that is best addressed through medication and maybe therapy for support. Here is more information about Adult ADHD and how you can help yourself:

http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/guide/adhd-adults

I hope this has helped you,

Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

this is not all about anxiety....

i never feel anxiety...i just not able to focus...when especially i am alone. My mind resist me to focus....(I don't know why)...if i want to study a newspaper...nd when i study it my eyes will not concentrarte on one thing....

i have focusing problem...i want to be normal as i was in school...

pl give me some tips to control my Mind....is meditation will me effective for me....

as i forgot that i have this focusing problem...i do my work or study quite freely :)

but this happen only some times....this is a problem of mind.... i made some image of problem in my brain...which resist me to do something gud.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mam pl give me some gud suggestion...i will wait you....it might be benefical for me....

thnx and regards..

I am sorry you were unhappy with my answer. However, you can respond back to your expert with more questions before you rate poor or bad service, which goes on the expert's record.

Yes, meditation might work to focus your mind. You can also try to learn how to focus better so you can concentrate. Here is a resource to help:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/memory-medic/201102/12-ways-improve-concentration

Other tips that might help:

Wear a rubber band around your wrist. When your mind wonders, snap it slightly to get your attention back.

Break down tasks to smaller ones. That way, you only have to focus on one page rather than all 20 you have to read.

Music also can help you focus. Listen to something soothing. Music has been proven to help.

If you feel distracted, take a short break. Then let yourself worry for that time. When you come back, tell yourself that you are done worrying and it's time to focus.

Kate

Please respond back if you need more information before you rate again. However, if you are fine with your answer, please rate ok or above. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mam i want to know this is not a serious problem????

The only way to tell if it is serious is to see your doctor. From what you have told me, it does not seem to be serious. But a full evaluation is needed and only a face to face evaluation can provide that information.

Kate
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mam iam facing the same problem continously .

My biggest problem is my mind...nd its unusal thought.

My mind always tricks me.

if i want to do some good with concentration...then he will tell me what are you doing.Or Some time says hey see the thing in your left...then i got distracted and after that i only think about that thing.My mind is my enemy!!

Mam you know this problem is going to be bigger nd bigger day by day....Is it only because that i am too much thinking about this problem...???????

because somewhere i read in atttenion kind of problems the more you thing the more they will grow ...is it true???

Mam my another question is this....Do you or your collegue find this kind of attention problem in any other guy/gal....
Just Answer prefers that you open a new question page for new questions. This ensures that you'll have an accurate customer ratio on the site, and it helps us to give the best possible answers to your questions.

Kate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so for next reply i have to ask another questions.....?

You need to start a new question. You can ask the moderators for help if you are unsure how to do that. I will transfer your question for you to customer service.

Kate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m the moderator for this topic. I am sorry, but It seems that the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. But don’t worry….. If you are still waiting for an answer, I will try to find a new professional to assist you! Please keep in mind that sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected. All of our Professionals come on at varying times, so sometimes it’s a bit difficult to predict. Either way....If you would prefer not to wait, please feel free to let me know, and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you.

Camille

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thnks then...i am waiting for new professional....Smile

Thank you ….hopefully it won’t take too much longer for me to find the right Professional for you! Please don't respond to this as it may prevent the Professionals from accessing your question. You will receive an email when your professional has responded. If you want to cancel, please let me know, and I will do that for you. Thank you for your continued patience.

Camille

I am sorry but unfortunately I have exhausted all of my efforts to find a Professional to answer your question. Since we have such a wide variety of Professionals who come on randomly, it is possible that your question could be answered at a later time. You may repost it in a day or two if you’d like. Its difficult to predict which Professionals will be on at which day and time.
Again, I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you,

Camille

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ohk i will wait then....