Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Hello, Im dealing with remnants of depression, have some

I'm dealing with remnants of depression, have some personality flaws, and have some fears holding me back from being more successful at work. Do I need to see a psychologist, or life coach, or professional help at all?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

Whenever you feel you have symptoms or issues that are holding you back from living the life you want, then it is a good idea to seek out professional help. You mentioned having remnants of depression, personality issues and some fears. The issues you are describing would be most helped by a therapist.

The type of therapist you need to see is a Master's level therapist or a Ph.D. A psychiatrist is a medical doctor trained in psychology. They mostly prescribe medications, though they can do therapy. Someone with a Master's degree or Ph.D. however just focuses on therapy.

Here is a list of credentials to help you know what you are looking for:

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/content/therapy_credentials.html

You want to find someone who has either a M.S., M.Ed, M.A., or M.S.W./L.S.W. These are some of the most common degrees for therapists. Other initials are usually extra certifications or licenses.

The type of therapy that would be most helpful is Cognitive Behavioral therapy. That type of therapy can help you identify your thoughts and change them so you can change how you feel. You can find a therapist that specializes in CBT or someone who uses an "eclectic" style which includes different types of therapy tailored to your needs.

To find a therapist, talk with your doctor for a referral. You can also search on line at:

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/

You can find a good therapist in many ways. But the key to which therapist you choose is finding one that fits your needs. For example, a therapist that works out for one person may not be what you are looking for. A therapist needs to not only be a good personality fit, but also provide the type of therapy you are seeking. So talking to a few therapists over the phone or in person can help you screen which one provides what you need.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
This resource may help you as well:

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2010/01/26/10-ways-to-find-a-good-therapist/

Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX very helpful!

I have a difficult time trying to see the line between having to be tough about certain situations, or needing to seek professional help. Can you provide some guidance?

Thank you.

You're welcome!

It really depends very much on the issue. However, a good guideline is if you feel like your issue is interfering in your life and you cannot find a solution to it, then it's a good time to seek professional help. Also, if you lack the support you need to work something out, that is also another good reason to talk to someone.

If you are questioning the need to talk to someone, it is always ok to talk to a therapist for one or two sessions. The therapist can let you know if there is enough of an issue that you may need to continue. You can also keep going if you feel it helps or stop if you feel you don't need therapy.

Kate
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist