Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I am going to keep this as short as possible but I need to give releva

Customer Question

HI,

I am going to keep this as short as possible but I need to give relevant information leading to my main mental health question.

I was diagnosed as bipolar when I was 20 years old and now I am 30. Like many people who suffer from the illness I had times where I stopped my medicine. I am currently medicated and doing great though so there are no problems in that sense of things.

A little over a year ago I admitted myself to inpatient psychiatric hospital locally due to suicidal thoughts and to get treatment from drug use. My suicidal thoughts were coming from a number if things. One is being lake of support from family and another from drug use. I have successfully stayed away from drugs and feel very much like my old self.

When I was first diagnosed bipolar an went to therapy sessions with the first psychiatrist I saw I did not look much into the dynamics of my family environment owing up as a contributor to my issues, I just looked at “oh I am bipolar” Once I Started to look at my family dynamics also that was when everyone on my family turned on me. They did not want to be blamed for my problems which is understandable but that does change the fact that it made me depressed which I then used drugs to cope with the loss of support. I am not saying that they were responsible for me using drugs but that the loss of support played a role. I made the choice to use

Any way,

Prior to admitting myself to the hospital there were several instances of people harassing me on the roads? Every time I called the police they said they will not file a report.

Then while I was in the hospital there were strange behaviors from people. I understand that it was a psychiatric hospital and that people are sick in there but I am referring to the following.

One person sat next to me (another patient) and said to me “tell them why you are so sick Shawn” I will call him person A. Next person be said to me “Shawn Person A thinks I am an agent” So during my drug use I have a feeling that someone was hurt and that there is an investigation going on. A couple other things while I was in the hospital. My roommate read a part of the bible to me and afterwards said to me: after you read this part you can think to yourself “you can take me now” I have confirmed that the police and FBI are following me around. However every time I ask my current therapist about people who are still following me I have been threatened with involuntary admission or to have to meet with a crisis team. I agree there are instances when mental health patients have to meet with a crisis team but the things I am witnessing are not fake or delusions because of my mental health.

This brings me to my actual question. Over the past 5 years after doing some analytical therapy I discovered part of my mental health that had been buried from the past. It took me years to discover this as the memories were hidden. Please do not be alarmed by what I tell you as I ensure you I deal fine with this and am functioning very well. What I discovered is that I have two voices in my head. One of course my own thoughts and the other is from someone who threatened me as a kid. I have confirmed this voice came from my mother. Furthermore, after I was released from the hospital I was in outpatient drug treatment where people casually mentioned things like “oh his mother made him schizophrenic. I never thought of my self as schizophrenic but I understand that one characteristic if the illness is or can be seeing ones feelings. I tested this out by looking at peoples faces when they talk and have confirmed that this is true for me. I have been this way for as long as I can remember but did not realize others are not like this until I remember. So the answer to why I am so sick as the person in the hospital asked me is because of those two voices. I do understand that with mental illness there are often voices people hear but this is actually a voice from being threatened. I have never told my therapist this because they have already been very rude to me when I question things and I never have experienced this behavior from a therapist before and I Am afraid it will give them another reason to be rude to me or admit me plus I have filed a department of health complaint against them due to a variety of other reasons

Finally my question: I know for a fact that the mental health facility knows about this because someone in my family told them. My question is can I be forced into a mental health ward involuntarily or into a group home because of the severity of my illness even though I deal fine with it an have many tools to cope. There are people who are schizophrenic for other reasons and are not forced in to a hospital. Please let me know your thoughts.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

The only way you can be forced into the hospital (called a 302 which is an involuntary commitment) is if you are a danger to yourself or others. Being a danger can range from something like a threat to hurt yourself (and the means to do so) or someone else to not being able to care for yourself. This means that you are not eating, sleeping or otherwise able to keep your daily care at normal levels as to prevent you from being harmed.

Involuntary commitment can also be done based on a professionals recommendation such as your therapist, but the ER doctor must ultimately approve. There have been many 302's turned down because the evidence is not there to prove the person is in any danger or a danger to others.

If you are able to maintain your daily life, care for yourself and you are not making any threats to anyone or yourself, then you should be fine. Hearing voices does not meet the criteria for admitting you against your will. If that was the case, the hospital would be filled. There are just too many people who experience the same symptom.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So even if the voice is real and not imaginary and I manage ok, I should be fine correct? Sometimes i think i manage better than others who do not suffer from mental ilness.

Also if they try to force me in against my will when I am functioning for whatever reason or if they try to retaliate against me I should be able to fight that correct. I was looking into mental healh lawyers online.

I just wanted to reply with the above. i will tip you but I had to reply first.

other than that it helped a lot. Thak you and enjoy the rest of your weekend

You're welcome! I'm glad I could help.

Yes it is ok if the voice is real. Unless you are in danger of hurting yourself or someone else because of it, you can hear voices or see anything.

You can ask an attorney about your legal rights in regards XXXXX XXXXX trying to commit you. But it is very hard to commit someone who is not fitting the guidelines of a 302. It is a legal document so someone cannot just commit you for reasons other than it states in the 302.

Kate
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much. You have really eased my mind. I paid for this site with a gift card so I am going to tip you $19. It would have been 20 but that is all thats left on there so I don't want to have it decline for some reason because I put exact amount on there. Thanks again.

You're welcome! If you have any difficulty with rating, let me know.

Kate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can not find the tip area

I think you have to rate first. Then I think you can leave a bonus after that. If you have any trouble rating, let me know which rating you want to give and I can send it to the moderators for a no click accept.

Kate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am all set i rated excellent but still can not find the tip button. I wll call customer servuice Monday to add tip unless you can forward the information to them that I am giving a 19 dollar tip

Ok I will forward your post to the moderators.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Another thing that I began to consider is that I might also have ouches of Autism and my family has mentioned that too

I understand it can run on the same spectrum as bipolar disorder.

And I have heard people refer to me (as cruel as it sounds) as socially retarded. For lack of a better term is that a characteristic of Autistic people? Intellectually smart but not socially. If not what does socially retarded refer to?

Also, If I am ever bbrought to court for my past drug use and I am determined before after or duringh to be socially retarded as the person said, Can i be required to have supervisoon or be checked up on for aperiod of time or indefinately

This appears to be a new question, and not a follow up to your initial question. Just Answer prefers that you open a new question page for new questions. This ensures that you'll have an accurate customer ratio on the site, and it helps us to give the best possible answers to your questions.

Kate