TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Hi just wanted to see if anyone could help answer some of my

Hi just wanted to see if anyone could help answer some of my questions?

I've taken a few tests online on depression, anxiety, ADHD, bipolar disorder etc and most of my results have shown that I might be suffering (mildly to moderately) from them, but the problem is I identify with maybe only some of the symptoms for each? Could anyone let me know what exactly (if any) I might be having?

Bit of background: I'm 22 now and finding it impossible to concentrate on any one thing! I procrastinate so much it's affecting my studies ): I usually start out extremely motivated at the beginning of the sem, but by the 3rd week or so I lose my steam. Once I get behind on any subject/assignment, I start to panic that I will never catch up and get super anxious just thinking about it. That makes me procrastinate more and eventually I end up not getting anything done!

I can't even concentrate on my fave tv shows nowadays. When I watch them I always have to be doing something else at the same time (ie playing a game on my ipod or idly flipping through a mag) or I feel like I'm "wasting my time". I'm aware that doesn't even make sense but that is somehow what I feel ):

Also would like to know if anyone can determine if my mood swings are normal??? I oscillate often between being happy and social and then suddenly being antisocial and feeling depressed. The problem is my "low" mood doesn't seem to be due to any specific reason! I have pretty low self-esteem to begin with, and I tend to think and analyze things a lot. I think I'm my worse enemy in that I usually upset myself thinking about how I don't seem to be going anywhere in life and how inadequate I feel compared to all my friends who seem to have everything worked out (career-wise, relationship-wise). At times like these I feel extremely, extremely alone and get this general feeling of hopelessness.

Can someone tell me if I might be suffering from anything, or could it just be one of those things I have to work through? Pls advise!
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It is possible to have some symptoms from many diagnoses. It is also possible to have more than one diagnosis at a time. While it is unethical for mental health professionals to diagnose anyone without a full evaluation face to face, the information you have provided can give some idea of what you might want to explore further with a local mental health therapist.

There are many causes of procrastination from the mild to the more serious. People often procrastinate because they are fearful or disorganized. It is very common for students and adults. They many not learn how to organize or prioritize tasks and end up scrambling to get things done at the last minute.

It is also possible that you have milder symptoms of ADHD. ADHD is not considered a learning disability. For adults who have the disorder, it is characterized by trouble concentrating, organizing tasks, remembering information and completing work on time. Up to 10% of children are diagnosed with ADHD and 60% of those carry the disorder into adulthood.

The criteria for Adult ADHD is different than with children. Here are some common symptoms you might experience with the disorder:

Chronic boredom
Relationship problems or Marital Difficulties
Tendency to overlook details
Not paying attention during conversations, inability to listen well (in any conversation)
Easily distracted
Emotional difficulties

Medications can help with ADHD and are the recommended treatment. Therapy can also help you learn to control some of your symptoms.

Bipolar is usually more pronounced than the symptoms you are describing. It is marked by periods of extreme highs and periods of extreme lows. You need at least one of those to qualify for Bipolar, Type II. Type I Bipolar only requires that you experience the extreme high. You can have depression, but it is usually not that severe and may not happen at all. And Cyclothymia is mild highs and mild lows.

The best way to know what you do have is to see a professional for a full evaluation. They can not only provide a diagnosis, but they can give you the correct course of treatment to help. With both ADHD and Bipolar, they are both treated with medications. It is thought that they are caused by brain chemical imbalances so medication is the most effective treatment.

I hope this has helped you,

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!