Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist

How do you know if you have depression

How do you know if you have depression
Thanks for your question.

Depression affects everyone a bit differently and can have a lot of different symptoms including feeling sad, irritable, frustrated, fatigued, and many other things as well. I'd be happy to send you a link to a respected online depression test, and that may give you a better idea if what you're dealing with is depression. Would that be helpful to you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have already taken several online tests and they all said that I could possible have moderate to severe depression, I just don't know how accurate these tests are and also how I would go about bringing this up to my parents

If you've taken several online tests and they are all giving you similar results then the results are probably pretty accurate. Of course the only way to know for sure is to get and proper evaluation. However since you have gotten similar results from multiple tests, that is at least an indication that this is worth taking seriously. In terms of bringing this up to your parents, one of the easiest ways may be to show them the scores from some of these tests that indicate depression. It may not be an easy conversation to have, but those results may be able to do some of the talking for you. Ideally it would be best to meet with a therapist about this in order to start working on some solutions. If that is something your parents can help you out with, you may be glad you had the difficult conversation in the long run.

I definitely wish you best with all of this, and please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.