TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Lately I have been very sad and I have trouble concentrating.

Lately I have been very sad and I have trouble concentrating. I know I am depressed but I have been experiencing a weird thing - when I find something just a little funny, not something hysterical, I end up laughing like it's the funniest thing I've ever heard and I can't stop, until I suddenly start crying out of nowhere and end up bawling in the same minute. It's completely uncontrollable and doesn't happen out of the blue for no reason, just if I see something that I find funny.

Can you please tell me what to do about this? I feel like I'm insane.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

When you are feeling depressed, it can be hard to express what you feel. Just sitting down and have a crying spell can be difficult because it takes a lot to get in touch with those feelings. You can know you feel depressed, but most of the time you are trying to maintain appearances with others and so you learn to push your feelings down. This makes it hard to get in touch with how you feel and express it.

However, laughing is a socially acceptable expression. It is actually encouraged in most cultures. Therefore, you can laugh and laugh hard and feel ok about it no matter where you are. But when you do laugh, it brings out the strong emotion of happiness that is equal to the strong depression you are feeling. The laughter then triggers your depression, allowing you to get in touch because you are already quite emotional. In other words, you have let down your guard and the depression begins to surface. That is why laughter can often trigger tears. It means you are healthy and definitely not insane.

I hope this has helped you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for that response. I agree with that in general but I also go to therapy twice a week and cry a LOT (too much), so I'm wondering why I can't even express a happy emotion without turning it into sadness, because this is a new thing for me. Usually I laugh at something funny and then I cry about sad things and it's normal for me, I guess the question is why has this changed to not being able to control any emotion or stay on point for that moment without everything ending in crying?

It probably is due to how much sadness you feel. Often when you are getting in touch with your feelings, especially in therapy, it can seem like you never stop crying. But it most likely is just the healing process. You will eventually work through it (it's great you are in therapy to help you heal) and feel more balanced in your emotions. It just takes time depending on what issues you are working through. Until then it can be a bit upsetting to find yourself always crying. But it is much more common than most people know. And crying is healthy. It's just not easy to cope with and it can be frustrating, I know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

You're welcome! I hope it was helpful. Hang in there. You will get through it.

Take care,